Zesty Shock Upgrade?

handsome devil
handsome devil Posts: 194
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
Currently riding a 2013 Zesty 514 which has a Fox Float Evolution CTD shock fitted as standard. This has a stock factory tune of medium rebound, etc.

I am considering upgrading to a Float Factory CTD Boostvalve which has three position trail settings in addition to rebound damping. I can pick one of these up for just over £100! I am looking for some extra adjustability first and foremost. The shock I am looking at has Rebound - XL and Velocity - M with a boostvalve pressure of 200(?)

1. Will there be a noticable difference between the two.
2. Can the BV shock be "re-tuned" from how it comes (as above) to suit my style of riding (mainly XC, Quantocks, trail centre stuff) and weight (82kg for what it`s worth)!? If so, can it be done without paying the £100+ service charge as Mojo quote £40 for custom valving as a supplement to a service?
3. Can the mounting hardware, etc just be swapped over from the existing shock?
4. Would I benefit from just have my existing shock serviced (probably due anyway) and custom valved for around the £150 mark rather than upgrading to the Boostvalve variant and forego the extra adjustability?

Any useful feedback/advice will be greatly appreciated as always.
2017 YT Jeffsy 27 AL Comp
2016 Specialized Allez Elite DSW
2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport Compact

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    the evolution CTD is a pretty basic shock and its not worth while tuning it

The 3 extra trail settings aren't really much of an upgrade over the standard CTD.

Is their anything wrong with the shock you have at the moment in terms of compression adjustment.

You'll probably find the rebound setting on this second hand shock is wrong for your frame - the boost valve is ment to help with bottoming out depending on the pressure it is set to.

What you could do is get the factory CTD and get it pushed to your preference.
  • Yeah - save the money - sell the shock on fleabay, add the money to your budget - consider a shock like the Rockshox monarch plus from somewhere discounted like bike-discount.de (Fox are ridiculously over priced) - depending on the length you need you could have one for £215 (some lengths can be £300 though) - ultimately a far superior shock to what you have currently in terms of adjustability, options for tuning (cos you'll be buying new and can choose what tune to get) and performance IMO.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Personally I would send your existing shock to TF for a push tune. You'll get a much better shock back. I would be wary of any shock running an XL rebound tune.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • poah
    benpinnick wrote:
    Personally I would send your existing shock to TF for a push tune. You'll get a much better shock back. I would be wary of any shock running an XL rebound tune.

can't get the basic evolution shock push tunned
  • Thanks for the feedback guys. I now realise the shock can`t be tuned so that option`s now out. Upon speaking to one of the guys from TF Tuned, it would appear a BV Factory shock (or even an RP23 which is tunable) would make a greater difference over the stock Evo CTD shock than a FIT damped Kashima Factory fork over the stock Evo fork!

I`ll avoid the ebay route for the reasons given (weird tunes, etc). I do plan to stick with Fox after having a bad experience with Rockshox (once bitten, etc).

Biting the bullet and buying a Factory CTD BV shock from TF Tuned seems like the most obvious choice now especially when they will strip it down and tune it to my riding style, weight, etc (not sure Mojo do this themselves when buying a new shock?). Mojo do however have a correctly sized ex-demo unit at £347 but probably best buy new for only £50 more with full warranty, etc.

I think that will be the best route for me unless anyone can advise me otherwise?
    2017 YT Jeffsy 27 AL Comp
    2016 Specialized Allez Elite DSW
    2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport Compact
  • poah
    find a second hand RP23 and get it pushed would probably work out a bit cheaper than buying new