Thin bib tights with a thick pad

SamCD
SamCD Posts: 5
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I'm looking for a set of bib tights that don't offer too much insulation but do have a thick chamois designed for long rides. The reason for this is that I want them for touring where if it is cold/wet I will be wearing a set of waterproof trousers (and a thermal if need be), but still have the option to use them in warmer weather. It still needs to be full length to provide a wicking base layer under the waterproofs.

Unfortunately, companies making bib tights tend to only put their thickest pads on the more insulating winter bib tights. I have been looking at the Sportful Total Comfort Bib Tights and the dhb Vaeon Roubaix Pro Padded Bib Tight, among others. They both seem to have excellent pads but I am worried they will be too warm for when it is wet and warm and they are under waterproofs.

Of course, my other option would be to just get the bib short version and wear it with a base layer, but I'd prefer not if possible.

If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

Comments

• jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    DHB don't offer anything like a high end pad. So don't use that as a benchmark. Wiggle make out that the pads are quite high end but according to Cytech (the manufacturer) they're mid-range. From experience, the pads aren't that great TBH. Good for commuting but DHB clothing doesn't offer the value and quality it used to IME.

Why do the pads need to be thick? Are you thinking thicker, more comfortable? That may not be the case - pad design and how YOUR shape interacts with the pad would make more of a difference, surely?

I have no experience of touring or trying to cycle in waterproof trousers but have you thought about a pair of summer weight bibs, worn with non-insulating type knee warmers?

For all day comfort I'd go for Assos Uno's. Castelli and Santini also do price bib shorts to compete with the Uno's in terms of price range and spec but I prefer the Assos. If you have the cash then Rapha may be worth a look too. A good time to be buying summer kit at the moment.

If you do find shorts/tights stating they have a Cytech pad then take a look here to see what Cytech say about it and it's intended uses, these are the 'Long distance' pads:

http://www.elasticinterface.com/cycling ... .php?id=86

and those 'high end' DHB pads are in the 'Medium distance' section:

http://www.elasticinterface.com/cycling ... .php?id=87

Trust me on this, my club kit, made by Kalas uses two variants of the Carbonium insert (from the 'Long distance' link) and they are head and shoulders better than the pads that DHB use.

HTH.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • SamCD wrote:
    Hi,

I'm looking for a set of bib tights that don't offer too much insulation but do have a thick chamois designed for long rides. The reason for this is that I want them for touring where if it is cold/wet I will be wearing a set of waterproof trousers (and a thermal if need be), but still have the option to use them in warmer weather. It still needs to be full length to provide a wicking base layer under the waterproofs.

Unfortunately, companies making bib tights tend to only put their thickest pads on the more insulating winter bib tights. I have been looking at the Sportful Total Comfort Bib Tights and the dhb Vaeon Roubaix Pro Padded Bib Tight, among others. They both seem to have excellent pads but I am worried they will be too warm for when it is wet and warm and they are under waterproofs.

Of course, my other option would be to just get the bib short version and wear it with a base layer, but I'd prefer not if possible.

Thank you

What temperatures are you thinking off. I wore the dhb roubaix ones yesterday. It was 5c outside and they were by no means hot and as cold water from puddles hit me I could still feel it. I would say they were fine for 2c to 12c but no more.
  • derosa
    derosa Posts: 2,819
    Why not buy unpadded tights and wear your favourite shorts underneath?

Big H

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yeah I'd go with shorts and knee or legwarmers.
  • SamCD
    oxoman wrote:
    Decathlon do summer bibs with number 7 or 9 pad, the higher the number the better the pad.
    Thanks for your reply. I had a look at the site and the thickest they have listed at the moment is a no. 7 and it is a insulating membrane type. Think it will be a bit warm.
    jordan_217 wrote:
    DHB don't offer anything like a high end pad. So don't use that as a benchmark. Wiggle make out that the pads are quite high end but according to Cytech (the manufacturer) they're mid-range. From experience, the pads aren't that great TBH. Good for commuting but DHB clothing doesn't offer the value and quality it used to IME.
    Thanks for the heads up. After doing a bit more reading today it seemed that the dhb kit isn't all it is cracked up to be on Wiggle. Thanks for confirming it. They aren't even that cheap.
    jordan_217 wrote:
    Why do the pads need to be thick? Are you thinking thicker, more comfortable? That may not be the case - pad design and how YOUR shape interacts with the pad would make more of a difference, surely?
    That is what I am thinking. I realise that it may not always work out like that, but I've heard in general the thicker the pad the better it is for long journeys and multiday trips. I have actually never owned cycling gear with a pad, so this is all new to me and I have very little info to go on as to haw my shape would interact with the pad. If you have any advice on this then I'd be very interested.
    jordan_217 wrote:
    I have no experience of touring or trying to cycle in waterproof trousers but have you thought about a pair of summer weight bibs, worn with non-insulating type knee warmers?

For all day comfort I'd go for Assos Uno's. Castelli and Santini also do price bib shorts to compete with the Uno's in terms of price range and spec but I prefer the Assos. If you have the cash then Rapha may be worth a look too. A good time to be buying summer kit at the moment.
    Yeah, that setup is a little more faffy but it does leave me more options for wider variety of conditions. I'll have a look at all of those.
    jordan_217 wrote:
    If you do find shorts/tights stating they have a Cytech pad then take a look here to see what Cytech say about it and it's intended uses, these are the 'Long distance' pads:

http://www.elasticinterface.com/cycling ... .php?id=86

and those 'high end' DHB pads are in the 'Medium distance' section:

http://www.elasticinterface.com/cycling ... .php?id=87

Trust me on this, my club kit, made by Kalas uses two variants of the Carbonium insert (from the 'Long distance' link) and they are head and shoulders better than the pads that DHB use.

HTH.
    Thank you very much, jordan, for all of that info; it is very helpful. I'll keep searching and look at your suggestions and post back what I am thinking.
    What temperatures are you thinking off. I wore the dhb roubaix ones yesterday. It was 5c outside and they were by no means hot and as cold water from puddles hit me I could still feel it. I would say they were fine for 2c to 12c but no more.
    Thanks for the info, littledove44. Good to know because that confirms my suspicions that they would be too warm. Especially in waterproofs.
    derosa wrote:
    Why not buy unpadded tights and wear your favourite shorts underneath?
    cougie wrote:
    Yeah I'd go with shorts and knee or legwarmers.
    Yeah, I am starting to agree. Does seem to be the best idea. I'll check out leg warmers and unpadded tights and see what I like the look of. Thanks for the advice.
  • SamCD
    jordan_217, I had a look at the brands you mentioned. Rapha look particularly good (plus, they'll set me up great if I ever want to get into fixies and pretending to write screen plays at Starbucks) and everyone seems to rave about the thick Cytech pad they use. Though I'm struggling to find out exactly which one it is from the list you gave me. They say it is the "Anatomic Cytech", but there are a few Cytech pads with anatomic in the title. The price tag is eye watering, so if I can get the same pad without having to pay so much for the name I might be on to a winner.

(Also, found an amusing parody of their website: http://internationale.teamjva.com/ )
  • SamCD wrote:
    Hi,

Thank you

I have some Gore 3/4 bibs which are Lycra with a full thickness chamois. Might be worth a hunt around Gore's website to see whether they do full length.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Castelli Sorpasso - pad is double-layer so reduces friction to the skin. Fabric is very stretchy and unrestrictive - once worn, you'll never contemplate the restriction of shorts under tights.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • jordan_217
    SamCD wrote:
    jordan_217, I had a look at the brands you mentioned. Rapha look particularly good (plus, they'll set me up great if I ever want to get into fixies and pretending to write screen plays at Starbucks) and everyone seems to rave about the thick Cytech pad they use. Though I'm struggling to find out exactly which one it is from the list you gave me. They say it is the "Anatomic Cytech", but there are a few Cytech pads with anatomic in the title. The price tag is eye watering, so if I can get the same pad without having to pay so much for the name I might be on to a winner.

(Also, found an amusing parody of their website: http://internationale.teamjva.com/ )

Not all bib short manufacturers specify what variant of Cytech pad they use. Assos, for example, co-develop their own pad with Cytech. I don't have any Rapha bibs so can't say for definite what pads they use but some reviews on Road.cc would indicate it's the MULTI-D ANATOMIC, though as you say, there's two variants of that pad.

Perhaps a Rapha bib short owner could verify this?
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • SamCD
    I have some Gore 3/4 bibs which are Lycra with a full thickness chamois. Might be worth a hunt around Gore's website to see whether they do full length.
    I had a look, but I can't find such an item at the moment. Thanks for the heads up, though.
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Castelli Sorpasso - pad is double-layer so reduces friction to the skin. Fabric is very stretchy and unrestrictive - once worn, you'll never contemplate the restriction of shorts under tights.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but 0-15°C seems a little too warm for me.
    jordan_217 wrote:
    Not all bib short manufacturers specify what variant of Cytech pad they use. Assos, for example, co-develop their own pad with Cytech. I don't have any Rapha bibs so can't say for definite what pads they use but some reviews on Road.cc would indicate it's the MULTI-D ANATOMIC, though as you say, there's two variants of that pad.

Perhaps a Rapha bib short owner could verify this?
    Cool beans, thanks for finding that out. Based on your suggestion of the Assos Unos, I've been looking at the Assos T FI.Mille S5 Bib Shorts. Apparently the pad in these is as good if not better than the one Rapha use. Comes in a little cheaper as well. You seem to like Assos kit, you think that would be a good idea?
  • jordan_217
    I have a few Assos bibs and tights that use the S5 insert. I'm very pleased with it. Some people find it too 'nappy like' but I like it. I can't comment on Rapha as I've never tried their kit, I'd like to at some stage (I desperately want the Rapha wind jacket, in orange, but I can't afford it at the mo)

Take a look here:

http://www.assosfactoryoutlet.com/men/s ... -2011.html

These use the older S2 insert, which many people say is better than the newer S5. I've never tried the Mille's but they are apparently very good and people I speak to say that they are better than the Uno's but only you and your wallet can justify if they're worth the extra. If you do a lot of miles then it may just be worth it.