What is a 'VRS' bearing?

mxh
mxh Posts: 51
edited November 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm going to replace the shock linkage bearings on a Trek Lush as they're a bit sticky, and looking at the code on them they are a 6900-VRS.

I've tried a bit of googling to find out what a VRS type bearing is, but can't find anything. It seems to be just a standard 22*10*6 with 2 rubber seals - so I'm just going to use some 6900-2RS instead.

But does anyone know what a VRS bearing is, and what's the difference from a 2RS?

And just in case someone asks - No, I haven't read it wrong. It's definitely VRS :)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    where are you getting this VRS info from as it does not describe ant standard sealing standard.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mxh
    It's written / stamped on one of the rubber seals of the bearing.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    I can't remember all the prefixes and codes, but there are bearings with the seals made of different materials (including stainless steel) and with different properties (such as guaranteed water resistant to x metres HD) and the bearing codes reflect this. It may also, on the other hand, be just something this manufacturer does to distinguish their "extra special" range. It's the four digits that tell you you've got the right size though.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • mxh wrote:
    I'm going to replace the shock linkage bearings on a Trek Lush as they're a bit sticky, and looking at the code on them they are a 6900-VRS.

I've tried a bit of googling to find out what a VRS type bearing is, but can't find anything. It seems to be just a standard 22*10*6 with 2 rubber seals - so I'm just going to use some 6900-2RS instead.

But does anyone know what a VRS bearing is, and what's the difference from a 2RS?

And just in case someone asks - No, I haven't read it wrong. It's definitely VRS :)

Not sure what the difference might be but, on pages 33 and 34 of the PDF at the following URL (http://www.trekbikes.com.ua/doctrek/sus ... agrams.pdf), the bearing you appear to be describing is given as 6900-2RS so that will probably be fine.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Its a non contact low friction seal used for very high speed applications. Pointless fitting it to a suspension link just fit the right number RS bearing.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • mxh
    kwozzymodo wrote:

Hmm, so "The ‘RS’ type seal is a rubber seal that makes contact with the inner race" and the " The ‘V' type seal is a non-contact type rubber seal that does not contact the inner race". So a "VRS" is, well, who knows!!

But if it is for high speed applications (as 'stubs' suggests) I wonder why they put it in a suspension linkage - especially as the suspension PDF that 'suspended' has linked to does indeed show 6900-2RS bearings - maybe they ordered the wrong ones at the factory and just used them anyway!

Thanks for the responses guys.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    mxh wrote:
    So a "VRS" is, well, who knows!!

It's a type of Skoda.