Spoke protector for DA C24 wheel

rollinrollinrollin
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Evening all. I've just upgraded my wheels to the current Dura-Ace C24 clinchers and have been unable to find online a spoke protector for the rear wheel. The part number is CP-WH23 and is listed as optional on the Shimano site. But sadly I wasn't given that option when I bought them from Merlin. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Why on Earth would you want one? Spoke protectors exist as a CYA (cover your ass) for manufacturers to protect against the hamfisted who can't set up a rear mech correctly. Their main function is to collect dirt and look crap. Don't bother.
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    Exactly.

Don't bother. I've never used one on my DA C24s, and I've never had a problem.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    As above - you don't need one.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    ... and you'll look a right dick riding DA wheels with a 'dork disc'!
  • They'll be on Wiggle in the same section as spokey dokeys, dice valve caps, reflectors that attach to your spokes and multicoloured ribbons for the end of your handlebars ;o)
  • With thanks to foggymike for answering my question and avoiding the need for sarcasm in doing so! I bought a Shimano protector from wiggle but it doesn't fit C24s and it's the only one they stock. I'll try going back to merl.
    To all other posters, my chain snapped not long ago in pretty catastrophic style an destroyed the spoke protector. I'll never know if it would've damaged the spokes but it's a risk I'm not prepared to take in future. ..especially if the only downside is that I get a few condescending remarks from you guys.
  • Spoke protector is your high limit screw.
  • imposter2.0
    Spoke protector is your high limit screw.

or even the low limit screw ;)
  • My gears don't work properly at all, this probably the reason :D
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Your chain snapped and destroyed the spoke protector ? Blimey. Mines only ever snapped and fallen to the floor. No drama.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Finally an owner of DA C24 that demonstrates perfectly the target audience. :mrgreen:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Finally an owner of DA C24 that demonstrates perfectly the target audience.

Oh really ? I've got a pair of 7900 C24's and (amongst others) three pair's of handbuilts including my latest acquisition (and first attempt) at building my own. Wonder what target audience that put's me in.

It's easy to sneer isn't it but hardly helpful.
  • imposter2.0
    2oldnslow wrote:
    Finally an owner of DA C24 that demonstrates perfectly the target audience.

Oh really ? I've got a pair of 7900 C24's and (amongst others) three pair's of handbuilts including my latest acquisition (and first attempt) at building my own. Wonder what target audience that put's me in.

'smidsy' doesn't actually own any C24s, but that doesn't stop him from chipping in with useless comments. I have a few sets of wheels, including C24s and handbuilts - and none of them has a spoke protector, incidentally.
  • +1 Imposter both on your overall comment and the need for a spoke protector. Simply put properly set up gears you really shouldn't need one.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    I hit my rear mech once (on a mtb) which brought the chain off and the protector did its job and saved my wheel/spokes. The mech didn't hit spokes , just sent the chain over. On a road bike though, chances of rough riding like a mtb are slim.
  • If you really want one despite the advice above I'd usually say ask at your nearest bike shop as they can order any parts available from Madison (who import Shimano) but having looked on their website they only seem to have the 36 hole protector listed. You could still ask and see if someone will try to order one for you though.

Otherwise this might work - cheap enough to have a try anyway

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clear-Bike-Sp ... 1c37e9296f
  • nochekmate wrote:
    ... and you'll look a right dick riding DA wheels with a 'dork disc'!

This.
    I use C24 and couldn't dream of besmirching them In such an appalling fashion.
  • Looks like RollinRollinRollin is TrollinTrollinTrollin.
  • smidsy
    2oldnslow wrote:

Responses are directly proportionate to the level of question posed - nothing to do with me :lol:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smidsy
    Imposter wrote:
    I have a few sets of wheels, including C24s

Oh the irony :P
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • imposter2.0
    smidsy wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    I have a few sets of wheels, including C24s

Oh the irony :P

You mean the irony of someone actually having some knowledge of the topic before replying? I can see how that might confuse you.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    :lol: :P :lol:

Breathes...

None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • smidsy
    Imposter wrote:
    You mean the irony of someone actually having some knowledge of the topic before replying? I can see how that might confuse you.

Your contribution to this does not rely on having the specific wheels, nor does mine. All square there then.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • imposter2.0
    smidsy wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Your contribution to this does not rely on having the specific wheels, nor does mine. All square there then.

'All square' ? - are you having some sort of internet point-scoring competition? Bless...
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    smidsy wrote:
    Finally an owner of DA C24 that demonstrates perfectly the target audience. :mrgreen:

I was just reading an article by a guy called Marcel Wurst who really rates the DA C24, I am genuinely interested to know what you know about these wheels that he doesn't. In particular as they are said to be "climbing wheels" would they be suitable for a tour to the ALPS?
  • smidsy
    letap73 wrote:
    I was just reading an article by a guy called Marcel Wurst who really rates the DA C24, I am genuinely interested to know what you know about these wheels that he doesn't. In particular as they are said to be "climbing wheels" would they be suitable for a tour to the ALPS?

Well I have both eyes on them :mrgreen:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • letap73
    smidsy wrote:
    letap73 wrote:

Well I have both eyes on them :mrgreen:

You have not answered my question - I am referring to the DA C24.
  • smidsy
    Imposter wrote:
    'All square' ? - are you having some sort of internet point-scoring competition? Bless...

No real point to make there then. You are generally the one eager to point out others flaws in an attempt to deflect from the fact that you never really add anything.

If you look at a lot of my stuff it is very helpful.

I also like to have a laugh and a joke - something many on here would benefit from.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • letap73
    C'mon Smids - instead of getting into pointless pedantic arguments - tell us why you think the DA C24 wheels are crap and only for fools (such as Marcel Wurst apparently). I await the typed words of the sage. :D
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,135
    smidsy wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    'All square' ? - are you having...

No real point to make...

If you look at a lot...

I also like to have a laugh and a joke - something many on here would benefit from.

You can always come down to Bottom Bracket.

Eons ago, I bought (with most of my own money) a Raleigh Pursuit*. The first thing I did, not having a cluster remover, was get a pair of snips and hacked the dork disc off.
    *I was young. Youth is a condition which cures itself.

Stay there fellas, don't go away - the popcorn is on...

The CL24's are lovely wheels - I have the predecessor; the 1380's and a disc would completely ruin the look of the thing as well as being a cr4p collector. I can say honestly and as a die hard Campag fan, the 1380's are better than my Euruses. If you are a XL size, they are not for you.

On the OP:
    Chains seldom break unless they are over-worn or badly fitted.
    Rear mechs have adjusters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!