Tyre Recommendations.

jedi_master
jedi_master Posts: 888
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
My brother is after a new set of tyres. At the moment he has Panaracer fire xc pros 2.1 and while he finds them good in summer, he doesn't find them as good in wet conditions. He isn't after a set of mud specific tyres, rather an all round winter tyre that grips better than the fire xc's in wet conditions and doesn't hold on to mud too much.

Budget, around £30 a tyre.

Comments

• passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    For a grippy jack of all trades tyre then maxxis High Roller although i like the Maxxis Advantage because it seems a bit quicker but is still grippy enough for me all year. I ride in fast draining areas so don't worry about gloopy mud 'too' much.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Low budget = the maxxis HRs (go for 60a compounds for alround riding but a super tacky 42a for the front gives extra grip in the slippery condition at the expernse of needing more effort to pedal around. I find the harder 70 compounds just don't grip well enough in the wet despite being an excellent tread).

For a bit more cash = Conti rubber queens in black chilli compound (Barons if you need something more aggro for the front)

Most expensive but my fav alrounder = Schwable Hans Dampf (trailstar front and pacestar rear)
  • If your talking Maxxis High Roller 1, then they do clog quite easily in mud. I also think they are a bit much front & back - quite draggy for general xc. Good front tyre if you can live with the mud clogging.

Chain reaction have a deal on Nobby Nicks (Pacestar compound) £20 - which seem good all rounders and shed mud ok.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I've always loved Continental Mountain King 2.4"s as do-it-all tyre.

Recently though, I decided to listen to the voice of the internet and get some Hans Dampfs (x2 TrailStars). Looking forward to checking them out and seeing if they live up to the hype :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Looking on bike-discount.de puts all the tyres he was looking at are in the price range. Can go for Nobbly Nics snakeskin side walls, Rubber Queens black chilli or Hans Dampf.

Out of those three, all good? or should he just pick one he likes and go for it?

Some places say the Hans Dampf come up big, will they fit a Rock Shox Reba RL?
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    I run schwalbe Hans dampfs on my trance and they are huge for 2.35. I would worry about rear tyre clearance rather than front.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • shindig
    shindig Posts: 173
    I run schwalbe Hans dampfs on my trance and they are huge for 2.35. I would worry about rear tyre clearance rather than front.

I run Hans Dampf on my Butcher. They actually measure 2.5" across.