specialized enduro SL expert 08 or a new trance x4 2011

bigwyll
bigwyll Posts: 4
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hello forum,

Can any help me decide between an 08 specialized enduro sl expert or a new giant trance x4 2011 still in the shop. I bought a hard tail two years ago and have been enjoying it but after a weekend in the Lakes with cycleactive I'm wanting more. What are your opinions on these two bikes. Thanks

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Depends on the spec and condition of the Enduro and the price of them both.
    They are also very different bikes, what sort of riding do you do?
  • Hi
    The enduro looks well kept and is well serviced. Looking at around 600 for either maybe a bit more for the new trance. I'm looking to do some trail centres and a bit of local xc which has some downs that are a bit much for my specialized carve and limited skill. I'm looking for something that will suit as I gain some experience and hopefully a bit of skill. Oh yeah and I'm heavy at 6'6" and 18.5 stone (coming down) so was thinking maybe the enduro will be able to take the punishment more than the trance. Thanks
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    I'd rather have the giant as its technically still new rather than having 5 years of probably hard riding.
  • rockmonkeysc
    If the Trance has an XL frame then that would be better but it has a pretty bad fork and shock.
    The enduro is a bit of a tank for xc and trail centres, to be honest your Carve is more than capable of amything at any trail centre.
  • I think the Trance x4 was MBR bike of the year in 2011?

Would be well suited to the style of riding BUT, the coil fork may not be suited to your weight, where as an air fork would be more adjustable. I seem to recall a thread on here where a poster struggled with the coil fork on an X4 as he was a big lad (mountain Monster?)
  • rockmonkeysc
    Up to 17 stone the forks are fine with just a coil change. To be honest, above that an air fork is going to struggle.