Kids Custom Build

2»

Comments

• Do you work for a bike company or are you fishing for a job you legend. :wink: how much do you thinks gone into it all together then ?

:lol: No working for a bike company here - the only mountain bike I've built before this was my 456.
    Haven't totaled it all up to be honest (part of me doesn't dare!). I originally set myself a budget of £300 (the cost of an Isla Beinn 20), I would guess I've spent around £350. Nothing on the bike has been that expensive tbh, the bike itself was under £30, brakes were the most expensive thing at £75, but I justified that with the fact that shimano brakes are well suited to a kids hands (adjustable, small levers) and they are great value and really easy to set up, plus they will move onto his next bike so realistically they were an "investment", at least that's what I tell myself! Got a couple of bargins along the way too (the folding Maxxis Snypers were £12 each and the Funn cranket was £13, plus both the front and rear hubs were £10 each). Its all the bloody little bits that have added up like brake adapters, top cap, headset etc etc.
    The way I see it a Beinn 20 with new tyres would have been around as much and wouldn't have the fork or brakes that I have on this, but at the end of the day I just wanted to build something cool - a massive part of this was that I enjoyed sourcing the parts, building it up and having something for my son that is unique.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    a massive part of this was that I enjoyed sourcing the parts, building it up and having something for my son that is unique.
    This, I find it a hoot building bikes, have to convince the misses that the latest upgrades for my daughters bikes are necessary and it's not just that I enjoy fitting them!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    a massive part of this was that I enjoyed sourcing the parts, building it up and having something for my son that is unique.
    This, I find it a hoot building bikes, have to convince the misses that the latest upgrades for my daughters bikes are necessary and it's not just that I enjoy fitting them!

+4576856

I really love building bikes, almost as much as riding them! I cant fool my parents into buying me bits though like you can with your misses. The only time i managed to convince them is when my seat had a little rip, and i told them my arse was getting wet on the way to and back from school every time i sat down :lol:

The only thing i want to do is learn how to build wheels like the OP has. They look amazing!
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    that is really quite smart - I eventually ordered the RST F1RST air 24s from bike-discount, they are more adjustable than the spinners and not much more expensive
  • I used to have a saddle like that on my "20 GT Outbound. It was a "Qeroyal" or something like that. I threw it away later on for a different one later on. Saw a few months back that they go for £40 2nd hand!

It really did hurt after a while. Are you sure your son will be okay with a plastic saddle? The finished product looks nice. I like the Santa Cruz sticker! Haha :D
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I used to have a saddle like that on my "20 GT Outbound. It was a "Qeroyal" or something like that.

Aeroyal? Those were de rigeur in '80s BMX days.
  • First ride today -
    IMG_20131201_115417.jpg

He definitely enjoyed it!

IMG_20131201_122713.jpg
  • First ride today -
    IMG_20131201_115417.jpg

He definitely enjoyed it!

IMG_20131201_122713.jpg

What fab photos! Took my 8 year old out for our first joint offroad adventure. Did 6 miles through Fineshade woods and did all 6 of the blue skills loops. We spent the whole time laughing our heads off. Just wish I had the time and money to build him something nicer/lighter. Great job you've done.
  • I used to have a saddle like that on my "20 GT Outbound. It was a "Qeroyal" or something like that.

Aeroyal? Those were de rigeur in '80s BMX days.

Its an "A"? I thought it was a Q!...It really looks like "Qeroyal" https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=de+ri ... B600%3B374

Matching bikes, nice. Like farther like son :D
  • Kowalski675
    Yeah, it's Aeroyal. Pics like this on google images bring back memeories from quarter of a century ago...

image-4.jpg
  • It really did hurt after a while. Are you sure your son will be okay with a plastic saddle? The finished product looks nice. I like the Santa Cruz sticker! Haha :D

The saddle is a temporary measure at the moment until I find something suitable. We aren't going on long XC rides so it should be suitable at the moment, and if anything it encourages him to stand up on the pedals :D
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Bike is looking great, really in proportion as well, it's only the pedals that make you realise how small it is, 10/10 there.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    Ace build, you are the best dad in the world that's official.

:D
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • Yeah, it's Aeroyal. Pics like this on google images bring back memeories from quarter of a century ago...

My brother used to have burner too, all chrome with the red tyres. It got nicked :(
  • Kowalski675
    The Rookie wrote:
    Bike is looking great, really in proportion as well, it's only the pedals that make you realise how small it is, 10/10 there.

Yeah, I thought the pedals looked massive too. :lol:
  • Kowalski675
    Yeah, it's Aeroyal. Pics like this on google images bring back memeories from quarter of a century ago...

My brother used to have burner too, all chrome with the red tyres. It got nicked :(

That's London for you...
  • You have done a mint job there mate
    carrera kraken
  • The Rookie wrote:

Yeah, I thought the pedals looked massive too. :lol:

They are a little on the large side!!! Glad I got them though, as they have made a huge difference to the level of grip that he has on them as kids pedals are total gash and it was much easier for him to relocate his foot on them thanks to their size. I chose these pedals in the end as they are relatively low weight and the studs on them are plastic not metal, which is hopefully a little more gentle on the ankles should his feet slip off (as someone who also owned a raleigh burner as a child I remember the searing agony caused by the metal toothed pedals slamming into my ankles :lol: )
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Loving this!
    Think my daughters Isla needs some of those forks, where did you source them from?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • VWsurfbum wrote:
    Loving this!
    Think my daughters Isla needs some of those forks, where did you source them from?

Managed top track down the European agent for Spinner who is based in Poland, so got them shipped over from there. If you want I can PM you his email address.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Cheers taht would be uber cool.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Really like that, bet your son loves it
  • Wow, your lad is the luckiest little chap ever.

Inspires me to do something when I end up with a litter.

Major shout out for being one hell of a dad.
    Community police have been on the look out for a vandal by the name of \'The Elusive Lout\'. Any information you could give would be gratefully received.
  • Awesome job. I recently renovated a bike for my lad as his first bike. An old school raleigh i got in the paper for a fiver. Needed new cables and stripping and regreasing plus a good bit of spit and polish but turned out great, he loves it. Need to do something a bit bigger for him with some gears now though.
    Gravity-Fed Media - A page to showcase my MTB and Snowboard Edits

http://www.facebook.com/GFM2005
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    JMcP92 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    I've never understood the use of twist shift - decent trigger shifters require a lot less strength.
    Depends on the setup, the X0/X9 on my commuter is light as a feather.....

I had a twist shifter on a little bike when I was a kid and hated the thing, I've never used twist shifters since. Maybe it was just cos I was a kid but I couldn't get it to shift and when you eventually did it just jumped 2 or 3 gears and was useless - triggers all the way

My eight year old has twisters on her Scott Spark and they work absolutely fine. She loves 'em.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Awesome job. I recently renovated a bike for my lad as his first bike. An old school raleigh i got in the paper for a fiver. Needed new cables and stripping and regreasing plus a good bit of spit and polish but turned out great, he loves it. Need to do something a bit bigger for him with some gears now though.

Cheers. Second hand kids bikes are definitely the way to go, its amazing how little work a is required to turn a cheap kids bike into something very decent. The Carrera Blasts/Luna can always be picked up for a good price and are a decent spec. Are you looking at a 20" now for your son?