Ribble Winter / Audax bike.

Serious Cat
Serious Cat Posts: 489
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
I think having a winter basher is a great idea and the Ribble caught my attention. The frameset can be bought cheap as chips but there is one area id like to query. I looked at various ones which were for sale on the net and in most cases the bikes had high rise stems , stem extenders, hoods pointing up at the clouds and / or a multitude of spacers which made the bike look ridiculous. Can I ask does the audax frame have a seriously short head tube which means some riders have to overcompensate to add front end height in the name of comfort ?

If anybody owns or has tried the ribble audax id be most interested in your thoughts. I think the 72 degree head angle would reduce reach to the bars but the perceived shortness of the head tube is a concern to me.
This serious internet site..............I serious cat

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Headtube is normal. Bear in mind that a lot of audaxers are your more 'experienced' folk who may have back issues.

I love mine, so much so I sold my Cervelo. If I road race next year it'll be on the Ribble with the rack/guards off.

AE261390-C272-41A8-9683-15070BEF9FCA-1039-0000015EF02ADB2C_zps81f1ef27.jpg
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • I've got one of these. Yes, the handlebars were a bit too low for me as supplied, but I flipped the stem and it's fine now.
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    Headtube is normal. Bear in mind that a lot of audaxers are your more 'experienced' folk who may have back issues.

I love mine, so much so I sold my Cervelo. If I road race next year it'll be on the Ribble with the rack/guards off.

AE261390-C272-41A8-9683-15070BEF9FCA-1039-0000015EF02ADB2C_zps81f1ef27.jpg

Napoleon D what size is the head tube on your bike ? From looking at the geometry chart for one that would be my size the head tube would be a very very short 11cm. In order to get the bars to a comfortable height id most certainly have to flip the stem and the thoughts of a severe angle and heapload of spacers, well I wouldn't bother.

Yours looks absolutely fine yet many online examples I saw were rank looking with hoods pointing straight up and flipped high rise stems.
  • Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    This is mine and I think it looks pretty good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16817419@N05/10783177156/

The stem is flipped with three half cm spacers and yes I am getting on a bit with an iffy back.
  • The OP is correct, the headtubes are much shorter on these than your typical audax/sportive bike.
    They handle very well though and feel solid (but not too heavy). The only downside is you cannot fit 25mm tyres with mudguards.
  • Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    See my picture - 25mm gatorskins with full SKS mudguards. Just takes a bit of fiddling to get the clearance right.
  • napoleond
    edited November 2013
    I'm on 24mm Conti gp4000S. No problem at all.

Head tube is 19.5
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Zendog1 wrote:
    This is mine and I think it looks pretty good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16817419@N05/10783177156/

The stem is flipped with three half cm spacers and yes I am getting on a bit with an iffy back.

Is that a 10 degree stem you are running flipped ?

Seeing as you have installed 35mm of spacers, is the steerer super long ?
  • napoleond
    No it's 1.5cm of spacers on his. You could get away with a fair few more...
    ABCC Cycling Coach