Which shoes for flat pedals?

Xommul
Xommul Posts: 251
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi Folks,

Noobish question.

Just ordered my first full sus bike. Have been doing some internet searching whilst it arrives. Seems there is a following for new riders to use flats instead of clip less pedals to help get the basic skills in place before progressing. True or not?

Sounds logical to me so I'm asking for advice re flat pedals (I'm 100kg) and can I wear any old trainer on them or should I be looking at something more specific.

Thnx in advance

Tony
MTB Trek 4300 Disc 1999
Road Rose Carbon Pro RS Custom
Canyon Spectral AL 7.9 29er

Comments

• Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    These have served me brillaintly this summer since I started riding:

http://www.sportsdirect.com/no-fear-cor ... e=24202044

Loads of grip on my Wellgo B54 pedals, pretty stiff sole for pedalling (way stiffer than any of the Airwalk equivalents), comfy on and off the bike and wearing well (a little chewing of the sole from the pedal pins but nothing major). Real bargain. They're still serving me well, with loads of life left in them, but just last night I had a moment of weakness and ordered these half price:

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/teva-lin ... 68383.html

I am a bad man.
  • Xommul
    I like the Teva links. My only concern with your no fear trainers is that weather and mud will destroy them.

I am a clip less road rider and I run shimano R87 on look keo pedals with neoprene overshoes for wet riding and anyicipating wetter muddier rides in the new bike trainers seem under powered.

Do they do hard wearing weather proof mtb trainers for flat pedals?
    MTB Trek 4300 Disc 1999
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Shimano AM41... comfy, good grip and very practical now it's wet and miserable
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • As above. AM41's.
  • Kowalski675
    Xommul wrote:
    I like the Teva links. My only concern with your no fear trainers is that weather and mud will destroy them.

I don't think the winter weather will do them any harm, but in wet muddy conditions you're definitely gonna get wet feet. That's the main reason behind me ordering the bargain priced Tevas really - they're gonna be warmer and more weather resistant for wet, muddy trails. they're claimed waterproof, but I'll take that with a pinch of salt (it's a coating, rather than a waterproof membrane). From the reviews I found googling though, it seems they're pretty water resistant (much more so than Five Tens, and dry out much faster). I've yet to find anyone making a truly waterproof flat pedal shoe (e.g. Goretex), but I guess the problem is that riding an MTB is different to hiking - you can make an MTB shoe waterproof, but splashing through puddles, streams etc is gonna get water over the top and going down the inside, where a GTX membrane would keep it in the shoe. Best compromise seems to be a weather resistant shoe and a long Sealskinz sock. I don't intend riding on rainy days, or mid winter, but even on dry days it's gonna be wet and muddy off road for the next few months now, unfortunately.
  • Kowalski675
    Bartimaeus wrote:
    Shimano AM41... comfy, good grip and very practical now it's wet and miserable

They were top of my list until I saw the half price Tevas.
  • Got these in sale for £40. They're excellent not bike specific either great grip on and off the bike. and yet to get wet feet and I've been out in monsoon weather mostly. Excellent buy even at full price. :D
    http://m.teva.co.uk/on/demandware.store/Sites-TEVA-UK-Site/en_GB/mProduct-Show?pid=4039&dwvar_4039_color=SULF&start=11&cgid=men-shoes
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Unless you never ride when its wet then Shimano AAM41s are unbeatable.
  • Kowalski675
    Unless you never ride when its wet then Shimano AAM41s are unbeatable.

You've tried every shoe there is then, lol?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have had a couple pairs of 5.10's. Freeriders and Sam Hill's. I also had Teva Links and some Vans.
    The 5.10's have more grip than AM41's but are like sponges in the wet. Tevas are a little better but not as grippy. The Shimano's are much better suited to British weather and nearly as grippy as 5.10's.
  • I've some 5.10 Barons (should read RED! Barons) which are great for me but are my first shoe. Got these as they were the only ones I could find in size 13. Good until wet and you want to ride consecutive days. I haven't been able to dry them out overnight yet. Tried everything short of the oven.
  • Those black teva links look like some dodgy 90's teenagers trainers.

+1 for AM41's.

I used to use a pair of these which were surprisingly grippy and hard wearing:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-Hi-Tec-P ... 0951148935
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    Sombrio X-shazam are good too, but I would go for Shimano over them.
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • Kowalski675
    Those black teva links look like some dodgy 90's teenagers trainers.

+1 for AM41's.

AM41s make you look like a special needs kid going to play golf...
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Etnies or whatever old skate/bmx trainers I have. Never loose grip on my Nanos, although not the best for keeping water out. Gonna get some SealSkinz socks this winter though.

Tried a pair Merrels but treads are too deep so almost impossible to pop a foot down when things get hairy.

Anyone remember the name of that company that can apply a 5.10 sole to any trainer?
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Xommul
    I think I'm definitely gonna buy a pair of shimano MH-088 clip less shoes but get some flat trainers too. I have size 13 feet so since the Links come in that size they may do the trick. Now as for pedal choice?

I seen Shimano saint get good reviews. What do you all have for pedals?
    MTB Trek 4300 Disc 1999
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812

Now, now... you know you shouldn't be looking at your feet when you are riding. Anyway, this time of year they are covered in mud within about 15 minutes.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Kowalski675
    Bartimaeus wrote:

Now, now... you know you shouldn't be looking at your feet when you are riding. Anyway, this time of year they are covered in mud within about 15 minutes.

I was looking at buying a pair of AM41s at CRC's reduced price before I ordered the Tevas, but I still don't like the aesthetics of them, lol. Seems a bit daft to have the front flap to aid weatherproofing then perforate the sides with holes too. Obviously they're for breathabilty, but I'd rather have a non perforated version.
  • Believe me that the AM's can take an absolute battering, very grippy, robust, and are excellent at NOT letting in water. Also, when I clean them, I use a brush and some water - whilst they are still on.

They aren't for wearing out with jeans but then I don't buy my clothes at Blacks or Go Outdoors! either. ;D
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • Kowalski675
    They aren't for wearing out with jeans

I don't think golf clubs allow members to wear jeans... :wink: