"Best" packable jacket

londoncommuter
londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Got caught out a bit today and froze (and that was before the rain). I think the thing that's missing from my wardrobe is a packable jacket I can shove in my jersey. Any recommendations or ones to avoid? By "best" I really mean decent and cheap!

Is it worth waiting for the £10 Aldi ones again or are the ones like the Endura Pakajack or PBK Race worth paying the extra £30 for? Any bargains out there?

Thanks for any tips.

Comments

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Have a look at this: http://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/craft-performance-bike-featherlight-jacket-1359.html

I've used one for the past few years and it's been great. It's still shower proof, water just beads up and although I've not used it in a prolonged downpour, I suspect I it would fair well. It packs down to about the size of an orange, so is ideal for keeping stowed in case you get caught out.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • rnath
    rnath Posts: 176
    Have used a Montane Featherlite Velo for a few years and have to say it's one of the most useful bits of cycling clothing I own. Great for early mornings until things have warmed a bit, and keeps the worst of the rain off.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,664
    I use an Endura Helium. A better quality waterproof but I think it's a tadette larger than others. It nearly folds into its own pocket, but the zip won't do up on mine. It ll go in a jersey pocket but it's tight. That said I need an XL so if you re closer to a Medium then it's probably better...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • thefog
    thefog Posts: 197
    Bargain for a cheaper short term shower proof jacket. £14

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_273966
  • i brought the pbk jacket after my £10 aldi jacket got ripped, i brought it cause it was on offer at £30 , it is very good in heavy rain but does hold the sweat in like most jackets and really doesnt pack down that small compared to the aldi 1.if im putting it in my back pocket i tend to put a couple of rubberbands round it to get it a bit smaller.
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    Got a craft featherlight from tk max for £25 and very happy with it. I had 2 other packable jackets before, aldi which was boil in the bag and a dare2b which was slightly bulky. The craft really is small when packed down and also has wind block on the front. It is just for showers.