Touring Scotland and /or Ireland from April okay?

satanas
satanas Posts: 1,303
edited November 2013 in Tour & expedition
Hi everyone,

I'll be visiting the UK for the first time since 1991 from about early April. My main reason for coming to Europe is Worldloppet XC ski races, so there's no way I can bring a bike with me as well as ski gear.

So, what I need to do is get hold of something over there that will do the job - maybe eBay or perhaps buy new then resell? Suggestions on where to look are welcome. I will most probably have a small box of parts mailed over so the bike can be pretty basic.

I'm also wondering where to go riding. Due to visa hassles I'm limited to the UK and Ireland, and would like to get up to the Shetlands and Orkneys if feasible. What time of year (if any) is the weather likely to be okay up there? I've spent a fair bit of time in Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Cumbria, Wales and Scotland as I used to have relatives in Preston, but haven't been to the southwest, or to northeast Scotland. Is there anywhere else really worth visiting apart from Devon and Cornwall? I will have about 2-3 months, so should be able to cover a fair bit of ground.

Thanks in advance,
Stephen

PS: No need to offer suggestions about gear, just where to go and when.

Comments

• Weather is a fickle thing. On the west coast of Scotland we had a heatwave in March 2012 and huge snow drifts in March 2013.
    April/May should be ok though. If you have 2/3 months there's no reason you couldn't see a good bit of Ireland and get up to Orkney & Shetland. If you haven't explored the Western Isles I would suggest you don't miss them.
    If you make it to Orkney in May, the annual music festival is always very good. http://www.orkneyfolkfestival.com/
  • satanas
    Thank you! I will plan on attending the Orkney folk festival, and will hope to catch a few others during my travels too. I've been out to some of the Western Isles a long time ago, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to go back, hopefully in better weather. Any theories about when the dreaded midges are likely to appear, and whether they have them in Ireland too?
  • Again it can depend on the weather but midges can start appearing in May. They reach their full mugging potential between July and September and can still be a problem in October if conditions are right. One of the benefits of wet windy weather is it keeps them at bay but once the wind drops and conditions are warm and muggy the little blighters make up for lost time!
  • satanas
    Midges seem to be about the only things that will bite inside one's nostrils or on the eyeballs, so I'll hope they haven't appeared yet when I'm there. Seems like a strange thing to have to hope for wet windy weather - maybe better just to hide inside when not moving. I'll have to practice packing up the tent while running about!
  • satanas wrote:
    or to northeast Scotland.
    Wind, some wind, and some more wind.
    The far North-east of Scotland is very flat. Not quite Norfolk/lincolnshire flat. The prevailing winds are from the south west, so if you're heading north-east, its great. If you're heading south west, what was a lovely fast blast in one direction turns into a real hard slog in the opposite direction. The roads are great though. Long straights, not a lot of traffic and generally courteous drivers.
    Did you know the Orcadians have 5000 words for wind. :mrgreen:
  • satanas
    As long as they don't have 5000 words for rain...
  • Only on Skye do they have 5000 words for rain.... :cry:

I lived on the Isle of Skye for a couple of years. I arrived in December and it was raining. It rained every day until May. It stopped raining then the midges came out to play. :( Although saying that, still worth a visit as it's got scenery to die for.

From someone living here, my advice would be to get to Ft William then head clockwise around the Scottish coast, do some West Coast Islands too (probably get to Uig on Skye get the ferry to wherever it goes, Lochmaddy I think, then cycle north to Stornoway and get the Ferry back to Ullapool). Head all around the North coast, when you get down to Inverness, turn right and follow the Loch Ness/Great Glen road back to Ft William.

There are other parts of Scotland but they're not really worth visiting. 8)
  • satanas
    I think I went to Skye in 1981 or 1982 and it was raining when I was there too. Might be worth going back if the weather forecast looks better.

Colin, any vague idea on how long you'd allow for that? Thanks!
  • Not sure, I'll need to dig out my map and work it out.

I've only ever done it in a car. :oops:
  • satanas
    No worries, I can figure it out from a map easily enough. I'm not sure if I'll be able to find any of my old Routemasters though as it's been 20+ years since I've needed any UK maps. I'll have planty of time in any case...