wheels.......

bomb_d
bomb_d Posts: 39
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
so i not long got my new bike and much to my girlfriends disgust i want to start upgrading straight away..

thing is i am in a pickle but wondered if anyone could help, i want to start with the wheels i hav shimano r500s at the minute and want to go lighter but dont want to be ridiculous about it

i know their is not many limits on this but what wheels would people recomend. the bike is a cannondale synapse carbon an i want to do it justice and see just how good i can make it as i only got the bog standard tiagra group and and entry level wheels so i dont want to be going in at anything that would be worth more than the bike lol although i am a little flxable with the budget

any input would be great.

Comments

• focuz
    focuz Posts: 150
    Any price limit? £280 would get you a pair or campag zondas at 1550g (same wheels as fulcrum racing 3's), or planet x carbon clinchers are £100 off at the moment at £400.
  • bomb_d
    its not that i have a price limit its just i have a £1000 bike and i dont know if it is worth spending the same again on a set of wheels.... i could be wrong tho.
  • Mickyg88
    Mickyg88 Posts: 289
    I can't understand this, why buy a bike and immediately start to upgrade - wheels. Group sets, finishing kit, and so on and on, surely it's more cost effective to buy what you really want in the first place, even buying a bare frame and taking it from there, I can't imagine anyone buying all this spare crap let lying around after basic upgrades.
  • bomb_d
    cost effective has nothing to do with it.. i like working on bikes regardless of how new or old.

if i wanted cost effective i would have not bought my current bike and stayed riding my old bikes lol
  • Mavic SLR's
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Bomb_D wrote:
    cost effective has nothing to do with it.. i like working on bikes regardless of how new or old.

Prove it! Build your own wheels, cool dudes do... 8)
    left the forum March 2023
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    I purchased a set of Mavic Ksyrium Elites for my Record Ace a few weeks back and wow how have
    they transformed my old steed !!! I also have the same wheels on my new Look.

At under £500 I think they are great, many will disagree, but we are all different and they suit
    the riding I do and the roads I ride.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Bomb_D wrote:

Prove it! Build your own wheels, cool dudes do... 8)

With my zen like mastery of the spoke key this would be a very, very bad idea for me, I turn very slightly out of true wheels into Pringles in seconds :)
  • troj
    troj Posts: 43
    Then learn a new skill. If you don't back yourself with a spoke key then do a weekend course to learn how to build and maintain your wheels.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    i have a £1000 bike and i dont know if it is worth spending the same again on a set of wheels

Even dear bikes seldom have good wheels. When you upgrade bikes the wheels will likely move onto the new one.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Excellent deal if you want light wheels AND shed weight with a new cassette !! :shock: .... http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/w ... tAoda0UAmg
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Don't rule out used wheels if they're in good nick, I got a really nice set of Ultegras for 110.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    I would recommend this... Ride it as it is over the winter, and when spring comes next year (alongside nice weather) treat yourself.