Where is the Pea Fritter North/South/East/West Divide?

2»

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Pross wrote:
    Gravy is to put on anything and everything. The thing I've found when having a pub meal in (southern) England is that they never give enough gravy and what they do give is too runny.
    Thats cos they give you - jus.
    Poncey flavoured liquid, not gravy.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    t4tomo wrote:
    Mushy peas with Fish and Chip = good.

Never seen a pea friter growing up the home of great fish & Chips (Whitby N. Yorks)

Re the OP's plate - presumably that is a codlet alongside the 9 chips. A Whitby fisherman would have thrown that back its so damn small.

Scraps anyone?

That is not my plate of fish/chips and the 'pretentious pea fritter'. I would never bastardise cod and chips with snot looking 'jus'. And a great big pile of chips is a must. It was a stock photo off Google that seemed best to illustrate what the pea fritter looked like. Jeez.

On a similar note, got drinking with a chap from Bolton whilst on hols. He said that fish and chips up his way is served with 'Peas Wet'. Apparently this being mushy peas and the 'wet' being gravy. Has anyone heard of this?
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    daviesee wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Gravy is to put on anything and everything. The thing I've found when having a pub meal in (southern) England is that they never give enough gravy and what they do give is too runny.
    Thats cos they give you - jizz.

You're going to the wrong pubs :shock:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • daviesee
    arran77 wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Thats you fantasising again. I dont go to these pubs that you appear to be familiar with. Sorry to disappoint.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    1. I am from Bristol, I live in Bucks and until seeing that photo, had no idea what a pea fritter was
    2. Mushy peas are glumptious and delunctable so a pea fritter is gilding the lily
    3. More chips, please, I should not be able to count them. Absence of vinegar/salt/mayo/tartare sauce/ketchup a serious omission too

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    daviesee wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Thats you fantasising again. I dont go to these pubs that you appear to be familiar with. Sorry to disappoint.

:lol:

As an aside that's probably one of the things that could end up in your food if you complain in a restaurant and send your dinner back :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • secretsam
    Pross wrote:

Yes, yes, yes

I was converted to chips 'n' gravy by time spent in Manchesterland, and it is a good thing

And fucking horrid thin piss gravy is an abomination which has nothing to do with the south - the MIL dishes it up and it's like brown water. Gravy should be capable of holding a teaspoon to attention in it.

• Oh I love gravy and pea fritters. Great combination!

Chips are good with gravy too.

I'm really hungry now, thanks guys and girls. I'm ill in bed so can't get out to get anything.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Used to be able to get pea fritters in chip shop in Stafford. Is this the frontier as they spread north? Or has their advance been checked?
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    daviesee wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Please not that picture was for illustration purposes only, not an indication of the fish and chips available in the 'sarf'

As for it being labelled an abomination (BBG), thats outrageous. They're are great, just so long as they are hand made at the establishment and resemble a tennis ball in size and shape. I have noticed that some of the chippies are using frozen ones that are flat (burger shape) and the batter is 5hiite.

It does appear from the posts that this is very much a southern counties pretentiousness.
    FTFY

You think battered, deep-fried mushy peas is pretentious? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Are you by any chance this man?

royle.jpg?w=300&h=150
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    johnfinch wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Please not that picture was for illustration purposes only, not an indication of the fish and chips available in the 'sarf'

As for it being labelled an abomination (BBG), thats outrageous. They're are great, just so long as they are hand made at the establishment and resemble a tennis ball in size and shape. I have noticed that some of the chippies are using frozen ones that are flat (burger shape) and the batter is 5hiite.

It does appear from the posts that this is very much a southern counties pretentiousness.
    FTFY

You think battered, deep-fried mushy peas is pretentious? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Are you by any chance this man?

royle.jpg?w=300&h=150

Not Pretentious in my opinion. Manna from Heaven they is. Anyone who hasn't tried one with fish and chips is really missing out. They do have to be the hand made ones though, not the factory squashed flat ones.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    edited November 2013
    Mushy peas on their own are a fine addition to fish and chips, I'd give a pea fritter a go even though I'd never heard of them before this - I've not seen them around Beds/Herts/Bucks.

Fish and chips taste 117% better when eaten in sight of the sea, by the way.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    I'll always order mushy peas when having fish and chips in a restaurant but I've never even come close to finishing them.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • secretsam
    Giraffoto wrote:
    Mushy peas on their own are a fine addition to fish and chips, I'd give a pea fritter a go even though I'd never heard of them before this - I've not seen them around Beds/Herts/Bucks.

Fish and chips taste 117% better when eaten in sight of the sea, by the way.

Think the chippy on Parton Road in Aylesbury does 'em

Might be wrong, tho'

• RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    On a train from London going north last Friday and about 70% of passengers got of at Watford.
  • daviesee wrote:
    That is simply pretentious carp.

Deliberate fish pun? ;)

I'd never heard of pea fritters until I moved to Hampshire, so definitely a South Coast thing - even when I lived in Watford the local chippy never sold them. The other peculiarly Southern offering seems to be rock (a type of dogfish IIRC) - had it once in Canterbury, basically tastes like overly-pungent mackerel with a massive spine of bones running through it. Wasn't very impressed and won't be eating that again.

Proper fish & chips should be haddock, as is the case pretty much anywhere in Leeds (based on extensive research, home to some of the best chip shops I've been in), although my home patch (the Black Country) does the best chips, which should ideally be day-glo orange. :)

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • seanoconn wrote:
    I'll always order mushy peas when having fish and chips in a restaurant but I've never even come close to finishing them.

Not a great fan of chip shop peas. Tinned marrowfat ones are way better.

David
  • I've lived are Sheffield and Manchester, never heard of them...
    left the forum March 2023
  • seanoconn
    I was in a south London pub yesterday evening that had chick pea fritters on the menu.

I left the pub because I didn't like the menu but they were on there.
  • seanoconn wrote:
    I was in a south London pub yesterday evening that had chick pea fritters on the menu.

Also called falafel...
    left the forum March 2023
  • Here in Hull they don't have pea fritters but they have pea patties. I guess they may have to change to fritters now its the City of Culture.
  • That's smaller than the portion i'd give the babby. As for pea fritters.... :?
    Where's the gravy? Where's the cob to wipe up after? :evil:
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn wrote:

Also called falafel...
    :lol:
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    seanoconn wrote:

Also called falafel...

mmm falafel, tahini sauce, yogurt and mint sauce, salad, wholemeal pitta bread, great sandwich :D

Pea fritters definitely a southern thing, are available in ye olde chippy in Albufeira :shock:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    My early years North of the Border were memorable that you can be assured that everything down the chippy was deep-fried, including black pudding, white pudding, pizzas, pies, the lot! Alas, I moved South too long ago to indulge in a deep-fried mars bar. Despite having lived in the deep south for 25 years, I've never had a pea-fritter either.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • daviesee wrote:

Deliberate fish pun? ;)

I'd never heard of pea fritters until I moved to Hampshire, so definitely a South Coast thing - even when I lived in Watford the local chippy never sold them. The other peculiarly Southern offering seems to be rock (a type of dogfish IIRC) - had it once in Canterbury, basically tastes like overly-pungent mackerel with a massive spine of bones running through it. Wasn't very impressed and won't be eating that again.

Proper fish & chips should be haddock, as is the case pretty much anywhere in Leeds (based on extensive research, home to some of the best chip shops I've been in), although my home patch (the Black Country) does the best chips, which should ideally be day-glo orange. :)

David

thanks david.

rock, is rock eel, its goes by the name rock salmon too i think, its a dogfish basically (little shark), it has one cartilage type bone running down it like a spine and thats it bone wise, no nasty sharp little thin bastrads out to get you like in cod/haddock/plaice etc. in east anglia you can get in a few chip shops inland, but most on the sea offer it. it doesnt taste like mackerel at all though, think u must have been stitched up (especially if it lots of bones in too). it tastes preety much of nothing really as most white fish does, just a softer texture than cod or haddock.

personally if i eat fish and chips and im not that keen as i feel sick after usually, i have skate. middle and wing together if possible.

should chips be cookd in tallow or veg oil???

most places round here are veg. theres a top fish and chip shop in aldeburgh that i sometimes visit in summer, but it cooks in tallow, which i dont usually like, but there nice.

also in brightlingsea in essex the formely named scooby snax is very nice and cooked in veg oil.

as for gravy on chips, thats an abomination, with the sole (get it) exception of poutine, marvellous.
  • also 0% northern on the test, although i knew what an oatcake was.
  • rock, is rock eel, its goes by the name rock salmon too i think, its a dogfish basically (little shark), it has one cartilage type bone running down it like a spine and thats it bone wise.

Yup - it was a huge thing, from memory. Like the bone you find in tinned salmon (bits of which look an awful lot like human teeth), only much bigger!

David
  • daviesee
    daviesee wrote:

Deliberate fish pun? ;)
    Oh yes!
    I could have written crap but decided that was a better fit given the context. :P