need some help and advice please

markhopley
markhopley Posts: 23
edited November 2013 in Workshop
Hi people ive recently taken the leap from running to mtb on the road to my first serious road bike.
Had to jump due to health issue, still running but would love to seriously get into road cycling.
I was fortunate enough to get my mitts on a pinarello F4.13 with full 7800 dur ace in immaculate condition and love it
However its hard work. Even getting it going and maintaining any cadence. Bit of a culture shock.
If you like im out of my powerband lol.
Its a standard 53-39 non compact dur ace chainset and bottom bracket. Running a 12-23 dur ace cassette.
And where I ride is hilltastic from moderate to the north face of the igare.
The rear mech is short cage dur ace and dur ace front mech.
I was going to change the rear cassette to an 11-28 max I believe or told by local shop due to rear mech and a new chain will make it manageable. But ive also been told to change the chainset to a compact. 50-34 and keep the rear cassette.
So which will be better. Can't afford both. Also what will fit the durace bottom crank is all dur ace compatible or even ultegra. Or any other chainsets fit the cranks/bottom bracket.
Fitting dur ace maybe pushing it money wise.
Any advise would be appreciated
Thanks mark hopley

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Least expensive route is to change the rear cassette and see how you get on it should be a bit better for the hills, if you are still not happy save up and go for a compact later but I would still run the 11/28 with this.:)
  • As above, change over the cassette and see how you get on. Much cheaper than changing the chainset. A 28 cog should make a difference on the hills.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I have a compact with a 12-30 rear cassette and apart from adjusting the gears have never used the first two gears. An 11-28 will help you out a lot more than the current 11-23 which is more for very fit riders on a standard bike. Have a look for one of the gear ratio charts on the internet to get a idea of what it compares to.

Try this to show the relative gear ratios :-

http://www.bikecalc.com/gear_ratios
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    'Officially' a Dura Ace 7800 rear derailleur only has the capacity for a largest sprocket of 27 teeth but you may get away with 28. Just check the big-big combination doesn't foul before you ride (not that you should be using it, but... ). Also not that it's a big issue but 7800 Dura Ace was never sold as a compact chainset so don't bother looking for second hand or NOS.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    What speed cadence are you trying to maintain? I can't help but sense you're pushing too high a gear. Also what tyre pressures are you on, I'd suggest 110ish.

If it's not hilly where you live I'd fit an 11-25 cassette and stick with the existing chainset. If it's hillier go with an 11-28, a lot of rear mechs will take a 28 but if yours won't then you'll need a new one. I'd not change the chainset unless you plan on doing a lot of very big hills.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Thanks guys. Yes I think im going down the chainset route first. A mate has a spare ultegra compact I can try. An from what ive been told ultegra will fit and the dura ace 7900 series without any issues. He knows his stuff accomplished cyclist an ironman triathlete. He s also tooled up to do it.
    Yes there s lots of long big climbs where ever I go or like riding. I'm in Somerset near the Quantocks.
    Cadence wise ive no clue as yet as I have no means of measuring it.
    My first ride this week on it I did 18.68 miles in 1hour 4 mins 8 seconds undulating rather than really hilly
    Cheers mark
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Sounds like a bargain.

If you don't know your cadence might I suggest something like the Cateye Double Wireless for around 60 quid. Knowing your cadence is an invaluable training aid.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    The 11-28 cassette will work with your current S/S 7800 rear mech. I ve done it myself.

You ll get much lower gearing switching to the 50/34 series compact chainset (And if your mate will lend you the Ultegra go for it) as others have said there is not a compact chainset in the dura ace 7800 series and the 130 Bcd would make retro fitting 110 bcd compact chain rings impossible.

See how you get on with what you propose. (i.e mates chainset and possible cassette change) . If you are still struggling. which I doubt. I am on the look out for a full standard DA 7800 Groupset and have a mix of Ultegra 6600 and 6700 Triple groupset which I would gladly look to swap with cash your way.(i.e I ll give you some)

Its a 6600 Triple chainset and STI's
    6700 GS rear mech
    5703 triple front mech 34.9 band on
    5700 series calipers
    11-25 Tiagra 10 speed cassette

I put it together for a bike I was doing RAID PYRENEES on and it will climb a brick wall.

Think as you get more experience/fitness though you ll be okay with what you ve got.
  • Thanks guys. Yes I think I ll spend the money on gearing first. I was like I said gonna do one or the other
    Ive read in various places and been told by a couple of shop bods the shimano dura ace compact fc7950 50-34
    And the ultegra fc6750 will work. Id like to keep the bike full dura ace as the mix up ll do my ocd no favours
    An maybe try changing the rear cassette if I need to. Found a bike dealer in germany who has the dura ace chainset for £200 plus postage 7euro. Which is pushing it lol without getting me castrated.
    Yes I wanna get the bike moving along enough to get me road bike fit. I can push my full suspension mountain bike along for 2 1/2 hours averaging 16 mph, the road bike feels alien lol. I suppose its getting it sussed and comfotable. Sussing out why im getting numb hands and feet. My left foot mainly. Think that was due mainly to my shoes being too tight. There shimano carbon soled wide fit racing shoes. Toes point up sharply. Christmas is coming maybe I ll be lucky enough to get the new cateye computer. The bike has cateye cc-vt100w on it.
    Thank you all for your imput. Really do appreciate it.
    Cheers mark
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    okay bit puzzled. Firstly are you clipped in. Look at having your cleat position parallel to the base of your big toe there are endless article on this on Google or you tube. You ve basically got a 10 speed shimano set up. so any of the shimano 10 speed chainsets will work with it.

Shimano compact 10 speeds will be anything from 7900 series on if you want to stay with Dura Ace.
    or if you drop down to Ultegra and below there are multiple options. a compact chainset it basically 110 bcd instead of 130 so you could find a plethora of chainsets that have this bolt centre distance which would work to give you lower gearing.
  • Hi tim yes thanks for your help an patience. As youve guessed im green.
    Yes clipped in. Shimano dura spd pedals and shoes.
    Yes I was hoping that the dura ace FC 6750 compact would fit however I've read it s compatible with every thing except my F7800 front mech. Can't find much on it. My brains fried an a tad confused. As ive said two local shops have said it ll all work just changing the chainset an shortening the chain. I cant stretch to a new mech aswell.
    Cheers mark
  • Sorry tim the shimano dura FC7950 compact is what I m talking about
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,182
    shimano specify the 7800 front mech for a maximum 15t difference, with a compact the difference is 16t (50 - 34), which is why it's listed as not compatible

in practice i'm sure it'll be ok, just make sure it's adjusted correctly

another factor on a crankset is the crank length, before buying, check what length you want - there're many many ideas on how to find the 'right' length, and no real agreement beyond it not usually mattering a huge amount, so don't get too hung up on it

this is one of the umpteen web pages on the subject...

http://bikedynamics.co.uk/FitGuidecranks.htm

...i chose it as it was the seventh in the list retured by google and 7 is the first character in 7800 :)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Thanks sungod. Yes im pretty sure the dura ace 7950 compact will work. The only thing its non compatible is the front mech and as my mate just said it s down to adjustment up or as the case will be down. I fail to get that shimano say that ultegra s 6650 compact is completely compatible as is 105 an tiagra compact but the FC 7950 dura compact isn't when there the same size as in 34-50. Find it odd.
    Or maybe use something totally different. At the end of the day I want it to work, look good an be pleasing to the eye.
    My mate just said who as ive said is a triathlete proper iron man an time trials. The crank set is too much even if I was super bike fit. For cruising at 30 plus mph. I cant get that down hill yet as I can't get it bloody moving lol