Yorkshire World Tour race

FJS
FJS Posts: 4,820
edited November 2013 in Pro race
This is getting better and better. A TdF grand depart in Yorkshire, and now, apparently, plans for an annual World Tour race, from 2015: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/welcome ... ce-in-2015
Brilliant. Although, wasn't there some plan for a WT race in Wales? Just a bit of noise to further boost the attention for Yorkshire anticipating the grand depart, or a serious plan?

Comments

• Dunno but if its serious, this time Verity needs to make sure its costed out properly...and its clear who's picking up the tab

(controversial post there)
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Never mind the ASO.
    It's the UCI that need a kick up the rectum to get that confounded Hamburg WT event returned to the Yorkshire Dales.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • thefog
    thefog Posts: 197
    It won't happen unless someone sponsors it and pays for it all. Gary Verity talks a lot and then expects everyone else to pick up the tab. TdF is going to be way over budget for all authorities whilst verity's organisation try and make lots of money out of its members and promoting hospitality, presumably to allow him to have 3 week jollies in France in July. WtY did no budgeting for the Tour and are sitting back, acting like they are delivering yet offer nothing. All being done by local authorities and uk sport.
  • This would be great but a three day event might be a bit much. Something like the route of the White Rose Classic would be a great one dayer, ideally if you build in the variable weather. Hell, throw in some of the cobbles from the Ronde van Calderdale and it would be a beast for any cyclist...

It is so refreshing to see cycling in the UK acknowledged outside of bloody Box Hill!

I share the concerns about cost but it would be great to see a WT event here. I never saw the Wincanton Classic.

I also don't know how this will fit in with the UCI's established aim of having no events that clash.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Excellent.

Re the box hill comment - I know you lot get jealous of SW Londoners but it's a beautiful part of the world, good fun to ride, and near a city as populous as Sweden...anyway, the main problems will be funding and finding space in the calendar. The only new race which has worked is strada biancha and that's because it feels like it's been around for 50 years because of the retro thros back.

New races need to instantly feel iconic and memorable (on TV) and the organisation needs to be pretty spot on first time running.
  • Re the box hill comment - I know you lot get jealous of SW Londoners but it's a beautiful part of the world, good fun to ride, and near a city as populous as Sweden...

I know, I know - I was only (half) joking! I think it was just a little irritating on the BBC coverage of the Olympic Road Race - they were billing it repeatedly as if it was this dreaded climb, the toughest in the UK type thing.

Not a London thing - I'm sure they would have drummed it up wherever the race had been held. Just nice to see some of the other tough climbs around the UK given some publicity.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    It is so refreshing to see cycling in the UK acknowledged outside of bloody Box Hill!

I share the concerns about cost but it would be great to see a WT event here. I never saw the Wincanton Classic.

I also don't know how this will fit in with the UCI's established aim of having no events that clash.
    deejay wrote:
    It's the UCI that need a kick up the rectum to get that confounded Hamburg WT event returned to the Yorkshire Dales.
    Then you didn't see the "Leeds Classic" races when it went over Holme Moss.
    The Hamburg Sprint is the one that was run on that same WT date.
    GB lost that race because of the popularity of that Cheating, Lying, Fraudulent scumbags Team Deutsche Telekom.

May 26-June 8 = Milk Race
    June 21 = Manx International
    August 4 = Wincanton Classic...................2013 AUG 25 = Vattenfall Cyclassics
    August 6-11 = Kellogs Tour of Britain.........2013 SEP-15 - SEP-22 = Tour of Britain

The Surrey League racing offers some of the best racing on GB without using bloody Box Hill.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • deejay wrote:
    Then you didn't see the "Leeds Classic" races when it went over Holme Moss.
    The Hamburg Sprint is the one that was run on that same WT date.
    The Surrey League racing offers some of the best racing on GB without using bloody Box Hill.

No, I knew about it but never saw it - was just a kid at the time.

Cheers for the recommendation re: Surrey League - will check it out.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,867
    Excellent.

Re the box hill comment - I know you lot get jealous of SW Londoners but it's a beautiful part of the world, good fun to ride, and near a city as populous as Sweden...anyway,

its a rubbish area to cycle in

there I have said it

a Uk WT level one dayer should be across the dales or somefink not the downs... yeah I know the roads are better once you push out into sussex proper but.....
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Surrey would be OK to ride in if they actually put a surface on the roads. Most of them are just potholes connected with gravel.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Yorkshire is a pretty big County though - you could make a decent 3 day race there without breaking a sweat and highlighting some nice areas - for example, the three stages could be - a stage round York for sprinters, a day in the North York Moors which could be very lumpy and "hard" (kind of LBL territory?) and then a Leeds to Sheffield day dipping into the Peaks for a Gilbert/EBH/Gerrans kind of day?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Three days seems a bit much to me. I know they have the terrain - but a 1 dayer would generate almost as much revenue as a 3 dayer. I'd pop over for the day - but probably not 3 days at a stretch.