convert an old road bike into single speed

bobo696
bobo696 Posts: 57
edited November 2013 in Workshop
Hi there !

So I hope this has not been discussed to death already... I was looking for a single speed bike, and someone suggested that I build it myself, which sounds quite fun !

So I just bought an old falcon road bike and would like to convert it into a nice single speed. But I have never done that and I'm seeking for advice. I have seen some video on youtube but they don't explain everything.

So first, I need to buy all the tools and the new single speed components.

As for the chain breaker, would any be ok to use ? For example there are plenty on ebay, such as this one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/bike-cycle-bicycle-chain-breaker-splitter-9724-/160682360270?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Cycling_BikeLocks_SR&hash=item25696a3dce
Would it be all right ?

As for the single speed components, what should I go for ?

Thanks !

Comments

• I have used a Park Tools chain breaker for years and they are brilliant: a really nice heavy duty thing, well worth the money.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/park ... tAodkB4Aog

Anything cheap and flimsy will just bend and snap if you get a tricky old chain that's as tight as.

Re components: just shop around and see what you can pick up in the sales: Planet X have loads of deals, and anyway, single speed parts are dirt cheap compared to "normal parts.

As its and old road bike conversion job and not a bespoke work, how about a single speed converter for the rear wheel from CRC or Evans (about £12 I think offhand) or I just spaced out the rear hub with the plastic spacers you get as part of cassettes (not the 1mm job but the black 2/3mm wide ones that actually forms part of the cassette) before popping on the gearing of choice.

Cut down the old "normal" chain and use that - mine runs with no issues, costs nothing (literally) and its a great sense of satisfaction and fun having done it.

Do this one and if you like it then shop around and buy well smart parts and build another relegating N1 machine to pub duties.

HTH

J
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    does the falcon have horizontal drop outs so you can get the correct chain tension? If not stop now. :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    As above... your frame needs the right dropouts to be able to tension the chain. Older road bikes have semi-horizontal slots at the back so you can move the wheel backwards and forwards relative to the cranks. (Newer bikes have vertical slots - if it has these then you need a chain tension device).

Then you need some way of putting a single gear on the back wheel. If it's a newer freehub, the cassette slides off (once you've taken the lock ring off) and you can replace that with spacers and the gear of your choice.

If your wheel has a screw on cassette... I don't know. Is there a conversion kit? You may have to shell out for a new rear wheel.

You could get away with your existing drivetrain... my first go at a ss conversion merely took the gear shifters off, however the gears are ramped to enable easy shifting and I'd occasionally get random shifts (and the chain would go loose / jam tight as there's nothing to ease the tension). And chains are designed to be flexible to aid shifting.

What I've ended up with is a chainset with a single chainring (39 tooth taken from a normal chainset), a standard 7 speed chain and a single speed specific 14 tooth gear with spacers on a seven speed rear wheel.

Any excuse for a photo :-)

Europa.JPG

Edit - This chap does plenty of single speed gear http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/
  • craker wrote:

You could get away with your existing drivetrain... my first go at a ss conversion merely took the gear shifters off, however the gears are ramped to enable easy shifting and I'd occasionally get random shifts (and the chain would go loose / jam tight as there's nothing to ease the tension). And chains are designed to be flexible to aid shifting.

What I've ended up with is a chainset with a single chainring (39 tooth taken from a normal chainset), a standard 7 speed chain and a single speed specific 14 tooth gear with spacers on a seven speed rear wheel.

]

Exactly the same as what I did like - no problems with it at all and costs absolutely nothing apart from a couple of hours time and some beers to drink with your mates while you look at it and giggle at what a laugh it'll be to ride. .
  • Hi and thanks for the answers! I chose specifically for a frame with horizontal dropout... The frame is a Reynolds 453.

From what I gathered for now I just need the chain breaker, and a single speed specific gear with some spacers and I should be good to go! Where can I buy these?

@cracker: your machine looks great :-) I hope mine will be at some point, after the conversion I will think about the style!

Can't wait for it, almost as excited as when I got my first road bike LOL
  • craker
    Cheers Bobo :) It looks better now its got a more appropriate saddle and full mudguards. It's also my favourite bike (= most miles) out of a fleet of seven. I commuted on a geared bike yesterday, I'd forgotten how to ride it. It feels so mundane changing gear to get up a hill when you can just get out of the saddle and give it some welly.
  • 7 bikes waouh ! It's only my 3rd and the GF is already whining and complaining, despite her own 40+ pairs army of shoes... LOL but tbf she has one bike so that makes 4 in a 1 bedroom, admittedly a wee bit too many :-P

I might update the thread soon, I just need the components and some time to do it. Maybe a pic if not too ashamed!
  • Spacers: either scavenge from old cassettes or I think Wiggle/CRC do the kit for £12 odd. If you scavenge then LBS/mates/go down the dump and take old wheels, remove cassettes, take spacers, take wheels back.

Gear: As above or LFSS will recommend. If you are using a road chain then you'll need standard road sprocket, if SS gear then SS chain. SS chains arte about a fiver from somewhere like CRC.

HTH

E to the J to the C to the 1
  • I'm looking for a singlespeed conversion kit right now, but I don't know how to choose ? There is a 6 speed cassette at the back.
    Would this one fit ? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Onza-Mountain-Trials-Single-Speed/dp/B00365UP8S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1383945987&sr=8-3&keywords=single+speed+conversion+kit

Or would you have another choice to give me ? For example I've seen this one on CRC but it says that it's compatible with 8/9 spd shimano cassette, which is not what I have... http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/gusset-1-er-single-speed-conversion-kit/rp-prod17776
  • craker
    The Amazon one looks a better bet. You want a gear and something to wedge it in place. Those spacers supplied with the Amazon set mean you're free to find the right position for the cog on the freehub (depends on the chainline, ie how far the chainring sticks out from the bottom bracket). John above suggested you can also use the spacers supplied with cassettes.
  • bobo696
    bobo696 Posts: 57
    edited November 2013
    ok guys, I have a problem !

I would like to remove the cranks, in order to have just one at the front but it's not as smooth as I expected ! It seems that the large chainring is attached with the crank arm, but I would like to use the small chainring.

Do I have to remove the bottom bracket ? and if yes, how do I remove the small caps to access the bolts ? I tried with a flat screwdriver but it does not come off... Now I can scratch and dig, as it's already on its way but if I don't want is there a way ?

e4gx.jpg

u7eh.jpg

any advice ? thanks !!!
  • Another problem now : I would like to take the freewheel off, but I don't know the right tool for this :

iuig.jpg

How do I know which tool is required for this job ? It doesn't say anywhere what the brand is...
  • Ok guys, I managed to remove the caps. I removed the first bolt and now I have this :
    fj9b.jpg

Now I guess I need a crank puller, I found this in my cupboard: http://www.parktool.com/product/crank-puller-for-splined-cranks-ccp-44

Now I don't want to do anything stupid ! I read some stuff but it is confusing? I have no idea if this tool is compatible with my bottom bracket ? If not, what should I get ?

Thanks for helping me :)
  • craker
    Your BB tool isn't the right one, you want ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BIKE-BICYCLE-CYCLE-CRANK-EXTRACTOR-REMOVER-PULLER-TOOL-NEW-/220929072280?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Cycling_BikeLocks_SR&hash=item3370661c98

(that was an ebay search for crank extractor. Your cranks are square taper).

Did no-one have a suggestion about your back wheel? Sheldon Brown has this to say

http://sheldonbrown.com/freewheels.html

though I don't know how to single speed it. It might be that you have to source an old 7 speed (freehub) wheel from somewhere, though you may as well get a fixie / ss specific wheelset if you're buying wheels.
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    bobo696 wrote:
    Another problem now : I would like to take the freewheel off, but I don't know the right tool for this :
    How do I know which tool is required for this job ? It doesn't say anywhere what the brand is...
    It might be this tool.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/park ... -prod14413
    (Park FR4 for Atom/Regina/Zeus splined)

Count the splines and measure the diameter,
    the Park FR4 remover is 20 splines, approx dia. 21.6mm
    the maillard-normandy remover is approx 30mm OD, 24 splines

the maillard remover is ebay, find a bike shop that has one and get them to remove, or love city cycles in the US have them at a price
  • Thanks guys, actually I just went to the lbs and the mechanics advised me to get a specific single speed wheel so I think I will go for one. Just need to find second hand, which is not that easy? Nothing in the classified...
  • craker
    How about getting a s/h 9 speed rear wheel and a spacer kit + cog? You're looking at £35 ish total if you got eg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-R500-Rear-Wheel-approx-5-months-/251377875538?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item3a8749fa52

(that's the same wheel I use on my ss setup)

Have you had a look on the forums at LFGSS btw? It's all a bit sweary around there but plenty of knowledgable folk (esp. in the London area for classifieds)
  • I'm a bit gutted because I sold a wheel like this a few weeks ago, didn't know I might have used it !

I think since I will buy a new set of wheels, might as well be single speed specific... Just sign up and posted on LFGSS as well!