Winter Thermal Jersey

relanium
relanium Posts: 487
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Thinking about getting a Winter Thermal Jersey which I can layer up over a base layer for winter use, Any recommendations?

Comments

• luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Mavic espoir? I've got two and like them a lot (their fit just seems to work for me). Nice brushed fleece inner and quite breathable so you don't bake when warmed up...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,896
    I rather like my Santini primo long sleeve jersey.

Discontinued now, but seem to be a few floating about and on ebay.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • If you're on a budget: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/insulat-3-ls ... 16556.html

Used this with a longsleeve baselayer and gilet on days when my water bottle froze last winter.
  • ctc
    ctc Posts: 232
    +1 for Mavic Espoir
    Just tried out the Sportful Thermal Pista Long Sleeve I got from Halfords for £25 . Excellent value for that price. It's a good jersey
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    My endura 'roubaix jacket' just arrived (although its more of a mid-layer/jersey) ~£45 and seems to be good quality and the roubaix fabric seems like it will be nice and warm - I haven't ridden in it yet though so I'll let you know if its any good after a few rides!

http://www.endurasport.com/Product.aspx?dept_id=126&prod_id=491
  • derosa
    derosa Posts: 2,819
    My endura 'roubaix jacket' just arrived (although its more of a mid-layer/jersey) ~£45 and seems to be good quality and the roubaix fabric seems like it will be nice and warm - I haven't ridden in it yet though so I'll let you know if its any good after a few rides!

http://www.endurasport.com/Product.aspx?dept_id=126&prod_id=491

+1
    The Endura jersey outperforms the Mavic by a street.

Big H

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    "winter thermal" sounds like you want a windstopper jacket, rather than a jersey....?

The Endura FS260 jetstream is a good, lightweight windstopper jacket. Warmer than a jersey but not too warm. But even that is too lightweight for me at the moment. I'm in my proper windstopper jackets now.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    I'm looking for something similar - bridging the gap between gilet + arm warmers and a full windproof winter jacket. Definitely no windproofing required, just warm and breathable.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    On-one merino jersey here - it's lovely.
    Insert bike here:
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    I'm also looking for what I'd term a thermal jersey as I have a very good one already (pro-team issue Endurasport.com one from 10+ years ago) but for periods of the winter when temps are consistantly close to or below zero for days on end I've found me wearing this every day and I'd like a very similar alternative.
    I don't see any mentions of what makes these cheaper jerseys (the Decathjlon and Sportful ones for example) thermal, eg are they just thicker than a normal jersey or do they have special surface treatment or are made from a fancy material - to touch, the outer fabric of my Endura one has a slightly different feel than normal jersey material and that helps with windproofing and also reducing the amount of rainfall that gets through it.
    I bought a Lidl cycling jacket in their sale a couple of months ago - for £14.99 I thought I coudn't lose but it's is not great at all - fit is poor for me - much too baggy and it really retains moisture from sweating and finally it has 1 smallish pocket on the front and a larger one at the rear - I'd much prefer the std 3 rear pockets.
  • ctc
    ctc Posts: 232
    No windproofing on the Sportful, it's just a brushed roubaix style jersey. I like that because I layer, so will have a gilet, or if it's really cold a jacket for windproofing.
    Fit was good, pockets good, zip good and it has proper cuffs. I like proper cuffs.
  • karldh
    karldh Posts: 34
    Just collected Sportful pista thermal jersey from Halfords too, bright red and roubaix brushed inside, £22.50 with BC discount, at that price with quality zip, materials got to be worth a punt, had to get large as running out of stock, bit tight under arms but once in riding position it is fine. Noticed other craft and sportful gear at half price along with a black sportful hot pack 4 jacket with 50% off sticker on, bargain if you want one in black! not sure if it was supposed to be half price according to website. And yes they are nice cuffs!
    kdh
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I'm eying up the Rapha Winter Jersey at the moment, looks an excellent choice for cold dry days.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • MattC59 wrote:
    I'm eying up the Rapha Winter Jersey at the moment, looks an excellent choice for cold dry days.

or you could buy 4 equally good ones for each season. £££££ = name
  • MattC59
    MattC59 wrote:

Didn't take long did it :roll:
    Can you give me examples please.
  • If you're on a budget: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/insulat-3-ls ... 16556.html

Used this with a longsleeve baselayer and gilet on days when my water bottle froze last winter.

Agreed. Found one of those for 12 euros in Spain, has been brilliant. But not as warm as this (which I had already):

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-long-sleeve ... ix-jersey/
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I have a Rapha winter jersey and it just does nothing for me - it feels too heavy without providing enough benefit. Perhaps I haven't layered up properly - the only use it gets is as a sort of cardigan around the house! Much better off with a softshell and layers beneath if Rapha is your thing. For me though, the now out of production (but still available) Assos 851 Airjack is perfect for winter time with plenty of windproofing on the front and arms. You just need to carefully judge layering beneath it and it is fab. I've no idea about the new Assos range other than to note that the prices are a bit on the crazy side (as are the names!).
  • MattC59 wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

You could get more than 4. I recently purchased a long sleeve winter jersey from Aldi for £8. I'm impressed its warm, comfortable and has even got some reflective stripes on the sleeves. Only problem is you have to be quick to get them as they sell out quick especially in the smaller sizes. I have some Rapha gear and I like it but it's not a bargain like the Aldi Crane jerseys. I'd rather have a clean Crane jersey for every day of the week than one Rapha winter jersey. Could probably buy more than 7 for the price of the Rapha even.
  • MattC59 wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

You could get more than 4. I recently purchased a long sleeve winter jersey from Aldi for £8. I'm impressed its warm, comfortable and has even got some reflective stripes on the sleeves. Only problem is you have to be quick to get them as they sell out quick especially in the smaller sizes. I have some Rapha gear and I like it but it's not a bargain like the Aldi Crane jerseys. I'd rather have a clean Crane jersey for every day of the week than one Rapha winter jersey. Could probably buy more than 7 for the price of the Rapha even.

I see sport clothing as merely a item to ware that keeps you comfortable in whatever activity you are doing. I'm prepared to pay for something if it works- but there's a hell of a lot that's way overpriced. My recent mistake was a £40 pair of Pearl Izumi half finger gloves that started to fall apart after just 2 months.

Rapha really pees me off - the stuff is not worth the money. Theres a certain limit as to what price you can pay for a bit of polyester.
    This sums it up in a recent article on Rapha " over-priced faux-designer catnip for the more gullible fringe of the monied, middle-aged new-to-cycling demographic." baring the middle-age bit (although perhaps quite true) it sums it up nicely.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    you never see any Rapha over here thank god. Seems mainly to be confined to the UK.

We just have Assos :)
  • MattC59
    MattC59 wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

I see sport clothing as merely a item to ware that keeps you comfortable in whatever activity you are doing. I'm prepared to pay for something if it works- but there's a hell of a lot that's way overpriced. My recent mistake was a £40 pair of Pearl Izumi half finger gloves that started to fall apart after just 2 months.

Rapha really pees me off - the stuff is not worth the money. Theres a certain limit as to what price you can pay for a bit of polyester.
    This sums it up in a recent article on Rapha " over-priced faux-designer catnip for the more gullible fringe of the monied, middle-aged new-to-cycling demographic." baring the middle-age bit (although perhaps quite true) it sums it up nicely.

We're going to have to agree to disagree, because you're wrong.
    I'm still waiting for these examples though.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    MattC59 wrote:

The trouble with this Jersey is that the chest is windproof but the arms are not, the Pro team Jacket is a better buy or if its really cold the Castelli Espresso Due. Assos remind me of Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Posted this a while back & stand by it re that jersey...

"Re: Winter Jacket £150 budget
    by RonB » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:45 pm

This might sound daft, but I would think about using a Rapha winter jersey as that jacket!

You can use it in the spring & autumn with just a base layer underneath, or in winter with a SS jersey under and either a gilet or pack-up waterproof over if you get caught out in a shower.

Anyway, good luck with your choice. If you like it and it keeps you going that's what counts. All the best, Ron."

... & yes I have tried the Aldi ones which are good value too, but the zips are very poor, you get bobbling after just a couple of washes, the material soon loses it's stretch and there are no grip strips align the bottom of the tops to speak of. Still good value though in their own way.

A so called overpriced jersey which you love to use and still end up wearing out is better value than a cheap one which stays in the draw every time, imo.
  • MattC59 wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

Agree 100% The Aldi softshell I bought in May has been the most versatile bit of kit I own. Converts to a gilet for spring/autumn or good as a top layer for colder rides. Nice deep pockets and a zipped security pocket too. Quality is good as other mid-range brands and it cost me £16!
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I picked up one of these recently

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CLC ... mak_jersey

sounds close to what you want. With a LS base underneath it's good for autumn weather, say down to 6deg?

The light blue is lovely too, so much so I've got a bit of a blue crush at the moment.

Check out ebay/absolute cycles for more roubaix-lined Campag tops.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • I picked up a Giordana Bodyclone over the summer and it's ace. Proper toasty and a fantastic fit.
  • MattC59 wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

Top trolling!
  • And well done in taking a quote completely out of context…

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... -bike-blog
  • Rapha is still way overpriced designer pap IMO. That stuff wont even cost 10% of the price to produce.

Just picked up one of these from Wiggle - top quality, warm and good fit for me. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-long-sleeve ... um-jersey/
  • Do these jerseys have Windstopper fabric to keep the wind off you?
    I'm looking for a jersey which keeps the wind chill off your body.