Epic carbon fork

Kevo27
Kevo27 Posts: 95
edited November 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Just purchased a 2008 Epic carbon, the front fork (Fox R32) has been setup by previous owner currently 160mm, i have been informed by a bike shop that this has the potential to cause damage to the frame?
Is this correct, should the fork be setup to 100-120mm?

Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I doubt the original forks could be extended to 160mm
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the frame is designed for 100mm of travel. and if the forks have been extended to 160 i would not expect them to be safe as i fear they will not be running on all the bearings.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Kevo27
    Doing some digging, i have found that this model came with Fox F100 RLC setup (original), not the 32 as in on the bike i have. Looking up Mojo website the 32 fork has a range 100-150 on a 26" wheel setup, if the frame has been designed for only 100 mm travel, is it wise to keep it to 100 mm or can you go out with this boundary?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Depends on the frame and warranty - might have to contact the manufacturer.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Kevo27 wrote:
    Doing some digging, i have found that this model came with Fox F100 RLC setup (original), not the 32 as in on the bike i have. Looking up Mojo website the 32 fork has a range 100-150 on a 26" wheel setup, if the frame has been designed for only 100 mm travel, is it wise to keep it to 100 mm or can you go out with this boundary?

I wouldn't put more than 110 or maybe 120mm travel on that, it'll be mismatched on the rear for a start and the bike isn't designed at all as a long travel machine. It's a short travel, fast, XC bike.

If you want more travel you will need a different bike.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Kevo27
    I have been in contact with specialized and the person i spoke to mentioned 120mm at the most which is what i was thinking of, will get a hold of some spacers to reduce the travel, not sure why the bike had been setup like this?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you can. I doubt they started out as 100 or 120mm.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Kevo27
    According to mojo and year of fork i can with a few spacers. Will try it anyway, if it doesn't work then will be looking for 100 mm fork.