old or new boardman pro

simon ayre
simon ayre Posts: 17
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
my work has again joined the bike to work scheme but should I go for the old boardman pro at 899 or the new 29er at 999 will mainly be used on roads and cycle paths to try and loose a bit of weight as im over 20 stone :(

Comments

• IDave
    IDave Posts: 223
    Your chances of finding an old Pro are pretty slim. You might find a Large if you are lucky, or you may find another size that has been on display locally. Both are unlikely though.
  • oh right!, they are showing on the website
  • go for the old pro if you can, its better spec and i think it looks better. i have a pro and i love it :)
  • IDave
    IDave Posts: 223
    simon ayre wrote:
    oh right!, they are showing on the website

They are collect in store only on the website. Just be aware last time i used the website the 'stock checker' was not very accurate. If you really want one then pop into your local branch and see if they have one or can get their hands on one.

You might end up with a display model with cosmetic damage though. Also they do tend to cannibalise display bike parts to fix customer orders so be aware and make sure you don't get stuck with parts from a lower spec model.
  • Old if you can find one , as above check the spec is correct I have seen cheapo saddles on some display stock .
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    There are no old 29er pro s left . A mate just got the new 29er pro for £800 after a 10% halfords offer and 10% for british cycling membership plus they gave him £100 worth of accessories absolute bargain and great looking bike.
    I have the 29er comp and love it great bikes go for it.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • Old Pro if you can get one! But if you're only going to get one for road and cycle paths it's a very well specced bike so don't rule out the Boardman Team or Comp as they will be more than up to the job and you'll save money. The Voodoos are very good as well! All these bikes would be capable off road as well apart from maybe some of the lower end Voodoos.
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2