Best Dance Track

bernithebiker
bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
edited November 2013 in The cake stop
Got a party coming up on Saturday night, and I will be supplying most of the music.

Need ideas for your best dance track; not necessarily the greatest song, but the one that gets people out of their seats and dancing.

Disco tracks are usually pretty good; Chic, Diana Ross, etc. and more recent stuff like Daft Punk and Sonnentanz work well too.

Any others I'm missing?!

Comments

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    A bit of Abba always gets the women up, and if the women are on the floor the men won't be far behind !
    Failing that, throw a bit of Fat Boy Slim in :lol:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • I find house music is usually the best for getting people moving, throw that in with a little bit of mixing and you're sorted. So all the usual ones like Martin Garrix, Flight 643, At Night, Can't Hold Back, Julio Bashmore, Dusky, and a bit of Calvin Harris id you want to make it a bit more mainstream... Although this largely depends on what type of party and how much people have drank :P, failing that the usual ones that have been mentioned above.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    EAlcock94 wrote:
    I find house music is usually the best for getting people moving, throw that in with a little bit of mixing and you're sorted. So all the usual ones like Martin Garrix, Flight 643, At Night, Can't Hold Back, Julio Bashmore, Dusky, and a bit of Calvin Harris id you want to make it a bit more mainstream... Although this largely depends on what type of party and how much people have drank :P, failing that the usual ones that have been mentioned above.

Never heard of any of 'em :lol:
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    From my MD days

Groove is the heart - Dee lite
    OPP - Naughty by Nature
    I Wish - Skee Lo
    Concrete Schoolyard - Jurassic Five
    YMCA - Village People
    Uptown Top Ranking - Althea and Donna
    Chase the Devil - Max Romeo
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • If you're talking wedding tackle then Prince 'Kiss' is a good one.
  • What's the general age if the partygoers?
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    ...and they only know johnny h or Charles has enough :roll:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    God spare me from cr@p party/traffic-light disco music like "YMCA".

See also "Come on Eileen", which is offensively naff.

Like others have said, depends on the type of party and age of attendees. My Mum would like to dance to Matt Munro, for example (she prefers him to Sinatra).

"Love Cats" by the Cure usually works with my generation (age 44), although I'm not a fan of the song - not one of Bob's best, IMHO. But then, no-one will dance to "All Cats are Grey"...:D

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • What's the general age if the partygoers?

Anything from 25 to 50, but average probably 40-45 (like me!)

Used to DJ a bit at university so know how tricky it is to please everybody.

Also to complicate things, most will be French, so will have to throw in the odd 80's French dance track, which are truly appalling, but I'd rather not get lynched so got to keep them happy.

For anyone doing a party, I found a great free DJ package called Virtual DJ. Very easy to use and mix, and quite powerful.

And if you pay $10 a month (you can stop after a month), you get access to almost every song out there, so i f someone asks for an unusual Buck's Fizz track, instead of telling them to take a running jump you can politely concur, find it, and play 10 seconds for them.
  • My top 3…

Earth Wind and Fire - September
    Billy Idol - White Wedding
    Chaka Khan - Feel For You.

If those don't work, check the sign on the door. Probably says "Morgue". :mrgreen:
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Oh, and numbers 4 & 5 would be Underworld - Underneath The Radar, and New Order - Blue Monday, both killers for getting people up and into it...
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Men in the age bracket 40 - 45 seem to be unable to stop themselves dancing whenever some Ska comes on at a party. Of course this dancing will take the form of walking around the dance floor like they are wearing diving boots or running up and down furiously on the spot. Some Northern Soul might do it as well.
  • Oh, and numbers 4 & 5 would be Underworld - Underneath The Radar, and New Order - Blue Monday, both killers for getting people up and into it...

Good call on Earth Wind and Fire, although I think Boogie Wonderland is dancier!

Never heard that Underworld thing before - bit odd?!
  • Men in the age bracket 40 - 45 seem to be unable to stop themselves dancing whenever some Ska comes on at a party. Of course this dancing will take the form of walking around the dance floor like they are wearing diving boots or running up and down furiously on the spot. Some Northern Soul might do it as well.

Like the Specials? Message to you Rudy? Good track, but I'm pretty sure it's below 80bpm, so you have to delock a safety thing on VirtualDJ just to play it!!

One Step Beyond is a good'un too. (Saw Madness live this summer!)
  • The Clash 'Rock The Casbah'
    The Clash 'Should I Stay Or Should I Go'
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154
    Anything by Strauss (Johann not Andrew). Make the most of the Strictly Come Dancing trend!
  • Gloria Gaynor – I Will Survive / Never Can Say Goodbye
    Lipps Inc – Funky Town
    Michael Jackson – Billie Jean / Don’t Stop Till You Get Enough
    James Brown – Get Up…I Feel Like…
    Sylvester – Do You Wanna Funk / You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)
    Sugarhill Gang – Rapper’s Delight
    Thelma Houston – Don’t Leave Me This Way
    Kool & The Gang – Celebration
    A Taste of Honey – Boogie Oogie Oogie
    Donna Summer – Bad Girls
    Barry White – Can’t Get Enough Of Your Love
    Bronski Beat – Small Town Boy
    Sister Sledge – We Are Family
    Blondie – Heart Of Glass
    O’Jays – Love Train
    Chic – Good Times
    Weather Girls – It’s Raining Men
    Rose Royce – Car Wash
    McFadden & Whitehead – Aint No Stoppin Us Now

And three for your Gran…

Man 2 Man – Male Stripper
    Donna Summer – Love To Love You (A real family pleaser)
    FGTH - Relax