ednino
ednino Posts: 684
edited November 2013 in Routes
Got a day at Afan next week. Never been before
Would you pick the Wall or Skyline?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Do you want a long ride or a short one? Skyline is twice as long as the wall.
    I would do skyline because once you get past the first climb you don't see many people at all. The wall gets too busy.
    The final descent of skyline is also the best bit of trail at Afan.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,153
    I'd go for W2 :wink:

When I last went there was a diversion on White's Level which sent you down the Skyline descent :D

I thought Skyline was pants, apart from that last descent.
  • ednino
    I'd rather a long ride or do a smaller one twice. I find it a lot faster the second time round when you've learnt where the trail goes.
    I like to climb. A steep technical climb is just as good as a decent to me
  • As Thistle says "W2" would be the best option. Skyline is boring (mostly) and W2 pretty much combines the two best trails at Afan - Wall & Whites. Can`t really get much better than that (imo) :)
    2017 YT Jeffsy 27 AL Comp
    2016 Specialized Allez Elite DSW
    2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport Compact
  • ednino
    How hard is W2? I don't want anything too dangerous as i'll be on my own and its a new trail to me
    No problem with fitness, just downhill technical talent / bravery
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    I've not done the full W2, but have done full White's Level and some of the Wall descents, and I don't think you'll find anything too difficult. There's no really technical downhills and it's mostly (if not entirely) rollable. The climbing (in particular the White's Level climb up the side of the valley) is technical and is a great challenge - sounds like it will be right up your street.

There's likely to be plenty of other folks on the trail, too, so don't imagine you'll be lying on the mountainside all night if you were to get into difficulties.
  • Agree with above. The climb for White's has just been reopened so do W2 but start from Glyncorrwg. It's only really black graded because it's 2x red routes. There is an optional black run on the White's part of the route which is good fun but you may prefer to bypass the technical descent. You can skip it easily if you prefer.

When you descend back to Glyncorrwg you now have two choices too. Good times.

Skyline still has diversions so it's not really at it's best.

Keep an eye on http://www.lodgecycles.co.uk/ for trail updates
    Three bikes: a muddy one, a fast one and a nostalgic one.
  • ednino
    All very helpful

Thanks