Trek 1500 of 2005 vintage

John Clark1
John Clark1 Posts: 268
edited November 2013 in Road general
Hello

What is it? Is it any good? I got a frame for nothing and am thinking of building it into a semi decent use for a week in the summer at the holiday home kinda bike.

2.3kgs frame with Octalink b/b and 2005 Ultegra cranks and chain rings, so not too bad (but not great enough to lash decent money on). Thinking Chinese carbon everything else and 2nd hand decent shifters (have brand new 9 speed D/A mech in the workshop doing nothing and some 50mm carbon rimmed Mavics here doing nothing that I have no particular like for but can't be bothered selling).

Worth it?

Ta muchly

John

Comments

• Pooter
    Pooter Posts: 68
    The 1400/1500 was a superior and different frame to the 1000/1200. It was Trek's top of the range all alu frame at the time, a perfectly decent frame.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Pooter wrote:
    The 1400/1500 was a superior and different frame to the 1000/1200. It was Trek's top of the range all alu frame at the time, a perfectly decent frame.

Quite right with smooth welds - I have a Trek 1400 which has been excellent, if you can get it for a good price then it will serve you well.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I had a 2005 Trek 1500 slr a couple of years back and I thought that the frame was great, the Look even stayed in the garage and the Trek was used on numerous occasions.
    I've also owned a Trek 5.2 madone and Trek 1.7, the 1500 slr was the best of the three but I had to sell it in the end because the frame was slightly too small.
  • Cool - cheers gents: very much appreciated.

I got the frame for nothing (USPS colours), its now sitting in the corner of the kitchen wearing FSA carbon bars and seat post, Kore carbon stem, some Mavic Cosmic Carbones and a 9 speed D/A rear mech.

Frame and paintwork are perfect but needs a clean as unloved. Will come up tops I reckon.

Plan is to China the forks (Carbontec), wheels (Carbontec tubulars with Tufo S3s), Carbontec seat and some D/A 7800 shifters, track down some Tektro R750 brakes. Keep it at the holiday house in the Italian mountains and use it there.

Keep total expenditure around £200 max through judicious purchasing, bargaining and pulling in favours and discounts and <8kgs (which actually shouldn't be too difficult) and I'll be a happy John.

Thank you very much again.

John.
  • Errandum in above: I meant Carbonzone, not Carbontec.

Apols.

J
  • No thank you very much. They all come out of the same mould from the same factory with the same bloke earning 7 Dong a day anyway so I'm willing to take a punt. Naturally I'll be doing full reviews before purchase and checking them out when they arrive before heading into the sunset anyway.

Re after sale support - they are £40 odd. If they break I'll chuck them, at the nearest paesano and buy some more.

I use EC90SLX on the other bikes so I couldn't do the downgrade anyway even though the 70s are a good fork. I would take one of the other bikes but can't be faffed with the boxing up/airline/getting it there/boxing up/airline/getting it back fag just for a couple of day's riding a year.

E to the J to the C to the 1.
  • Bet that's what George Hincapie said as well.

Oh.
  • Bet that's what Eugene Christophe said .............. zut alors!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I work on the theory if the unbranded Chinese manufacturers can't even make a decent carbon bottle cage (my only personal experience of unbranded Chinese stuff - they were bad in more ways than you'd think a bottle cage could be bad!) then I would think twice about trusting them to make something more complicated.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Problem solved: brand new BMC full carbon forks (c380 grammes) from CRC, down from £169.99 to £55 with free postage.

Bargain.

Still China'ing seat and wheels though :)