Oakley Prescription lenses, where to go ?

woo1
woo1 Posts: 51
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
I'm looking at buying some prescription Oakley glasses without going direct to Oakley.

Q1/ Does anyone know where you can get these lenses done without going through Oakley ?

Q2 / Suggestions on the type of Oakleys you can get on prescription ?

Thanks

Comments

• dawebbo
    dawebbo Posts: 456
    q1 I went through the optician (david clulow i think)
    q2 jawbones and flac jacket when I last went (a few years ago), assume others but definitely these 2.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    http://www.ciliaryblue.com/about.html have been talked about on here before. I've not used them mind you.
  • ctc
    ctc Posts: 232
    I used Balance Optics to get my Flak Jacket lenses. I'd highly recommend them
  • The first thing is that if you are looking at Oakley, you probably want the Oakley optical quality rather than cheap lenses in an Oakley frame. That means ultimately t get Oakley lenses you will be buying from Oakley.

The last time I looked at this, most Oakley glasses seemed to be available with prescription lenses, but with a huge caveat that it depended upon your prescription. A +1 is a lot easier to do than a +6. The more closely fitted/wraparound the earlier the cutoff for scrip lenses. While Flaks may be available in scrips, mine is too strong.

It may be cheaper to look at using contacts (what I do - disposables) or glasses that use an insert (Like Rudy Projects). New lenses every few years will get expensive.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • I got my precsription flak jackets from David Clulow also, around 3 years ago. Excellent service (from the Richmond branch) and a discount if I signed up for contact lenses (no minimum commitment)

Ultimately, you're buying from Oakley, but the vision quality is amazing. Best I've ever seen! And Oakley's customer service was even better: I broke a lense after 2 years use, and they replaced it, and the other one, for free. Amazing.

Oh, and just to prove I don't work for Oakley, I'll offer 1 negative. In heavy rain, they steam up, even with de-mist spray. Got caught out once, had no choice but to stop riding as couldn't see where I was going. I have a set of clear lenses, combined with contacts, that I use in heavy rain now.
    Weekend: Orbea Orca SLi2, Shimano Dura Ace C50s & Conti GP4000s
    Week: Boardman CX Team, Shimano RX31s & Conti Gatorskin Hardshells
    Twitter: @pete8uk, Strava: 1277229
  • iand-83
    iand-83 Posts: 132
    I looked in getting some Oakley glasses I think it was my local vision express, seemed expensive about £300 for a pair which had changeable lenses.
  • Unfortunately, balance optics have gone bust. They were by far the cheapest lensmaker out there.

I have half jackets. the lenses are quite thick due to my astigmatism, but preferable to the insert specs available
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    My gf got some for her Flak Jkts last week. We used RXSport and they were really good. We had to order via phone as her prescription couldn't be inputted online. The guy on the phone also recommended a different lens colour (grey transitions with a 16-96% change). Cost was £198 and they turned up in approx. 4 days.
    M.Rushton
  • Have a word with Mike here http://www.uksportseyewear.co.uk/

I really like my Split Jackets, they're a little more 'conventional' than some other styles.
  • I went to David Clulow too, i have two pairs of Radar Pitch. Completely transformed my riding.
  • markmod
    markmod Posts: 501
    +1 going contacts. I have just done this, it frees up the purchase of different Oakley lenses for different conditions (night sun cloudy/ grey) as you don't want to spend out on a prescription for each of these.

I went daily disposables, bought a box of 30 and only wear then for riding days
  • I went from contacts to prescription lenses. Reason being that while on a very quick descent I had a contact lense actually come out of my eye which basically meant I was riding with one eye vision for the next 80 miles of that 100 mile ride! This was the last time I rode with contacts & having prescription lenses lets me ride without worrying about lenses moving around, coming out, or becoming dry (as they do). You can get good Oakley lenses which cover all conditions.