SRAM Mount Bolts + Help

SXJ
SXJ Posts: 17
edited November 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Bike Building is not fun. I have frame and forks with IS mounts. I have SRAM Hydraulic S700 callipers. I have mount adaptors. I cannot work out if I need the standard bolt or CPS washer and bolts.

I did spend some time looking at various pages on the SRAM website and discovered the differences between the fittings .I was unable to discover which fixings applied to the various carriers and could find nothing specific to the S700 callipers. Any thoughts?

And whilst I'm at it. My frame is lynskey cooper with cable routing on the top of the top tube / seat stays. The routing employs cable block / guides on the tubes. These are designed to take cable only and expose the bare cable for straight sections. As noted I intend to use hydraulic brakes. I considered fixing the tubes to the side of the block but thought this would look a bit rubbish. I'm now considering "dremel"ing out the relevant channel in block so that a hydraulic tube will sit within. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Bike building IS fun.

You need the longer bolts and CPS washers (same as V-brake alignment washers which you can get on a set of pads for circa £2.50!)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cobba
    cobba Posts: 282
    You need the longer bolts and CPS washers

That's not correct.

With your brake the CPS washers are only needed when using the 20mm Post adapter, when using this adapter the CPS washers are only used between the bolt head and the caliper, they are only used in this situation so the bolt heads can properly tighten down on the brake caliper.

With your brake the CPS washers are not used at all with Avids 0mm IS adapter, 20mm IS adapter, 40mm IS adapter, 60mm IS adapter and the 40mm Post adapter.

With your brake the CPS washers should never be used between the caliper and the post mounts or between the caliper and the adapter, if they are used like this the caliper will be packed out too much and the brake pads will overhang the outer edge of the brake rotor.

Most but not all Avid calipers need CPS washers placed between the caliper and the post mount or between the caliper and the adapter to pack it out at the correct distance to fit over the rotor properly but some Avid calipers and all of the Sram calipers don't need the extra packing that CPS washers give, your brake is one of the ones that doesn't need the CPS washers.

The last brake caliper/adapter image on the following document applies to your brake as you're putting it on IS mounts.

http://cdn.sram.com/sites/default/files/techdocs/95-5018-000-000_rev_b_disc_brake_caliper_mounting.pdf

No CPS washers:
    9732913958_94922a2d93_z.jpg
  • SXJ
    SXJ Posts: 17
    Thanks for the help