South Wales Night Riding - Trail Suggestions?

Psychotext
Psychotext Posts: 145
edited November 2013 in Routes
I recently got back into mountain biking and I've found that the only way I'm going to be able to get any riding in this winter is if I switch to riding at night / evenings as my weekends are screwed.

Are there any recommended places to go in South Wales for night riding? I did Derwen last week and enjoyed that, but it's a bit far to be driving to do it regularly... unless I want to get another job to pay for more petrol!

Ideally I'd rather not do the super technical stuff at night, so blacks are pretty much out, but I should be Ok for anything else as long as they're not too hardcore.

I'm thinking of trying some of the Afan stuff as well as Twrch Trail at Cwmcarn and I'd welcome any other suggestions.

Comments

• Cwmcarn is fun at night, we do bit of ir backwards!
    Pretty much any trail centre is good.

Where you based?
    A few of us are off out tonight!
  • Agree with The Northern Monkey. The new Penhydd trail at Afan should make a good night ride. It will be opening very soon. Plus the new XC route at Cwmcarn but I think I'll try that in the light first!

Also out playing in the woods tonight!
    Three bikes: a muddy one, a fast one and a nostalgic one.
  • Just north of Cardiff. Apparently there's some good stuff around Castell Coch but I've not really had the chance to investigate it properly... and it's not really the sort of thing I'd want to do for the first time at night. :D
  • We're riding Castle Coch tonigh.... :wink:
  • Wont really have time for any rides in the next couple of weeks, but if any of you end up having a GPS on when you're riding in there I wouldn't mind having a look at the routes you take.