cheap single speed

bobo696
bobo696 Posts: 57
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi there!

I'm thinking about getting a winter bike for commuting from now on, leaving my road bike at home, comfy on the turbo and for weekend rides.

I was thinking about going for a single speed, and don't want to splash a lot on it, say max 200£-ish. I'm willing to buy second hand or new, that's fine.

I have come across the "nologo" single speed bikes, what do you think of them ? Any other suggestions ?

Thanks!

Comments

• Check out vitus on Chain Reaction. A little over budget.

If not I would be looking second hand, depends how much of a rush you are in.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    The bottom of the range SE Racing one is alright for the money and under budget. Could build something way better yourself if you bought second hand though.
  • I never considered this before but I actually quite like the idea of building a single speed myself ! How hard is it ? From what I've seen on tutorials/youtube it does not look very complicated. Basically you need a frame with a horizontal dropout and all other components should be easy to get, am I right ?... Would there be any problem of compatibility between parts ?
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    About as easy as it gets bike building wise. Just need to be buy the correct offset bottom bracket so the chainline is good. Everything else is standard. I wouldn't even worry about horizontal dropouts, the rear wheel you'll use will have a solid rear axle with nuts so you can do it up nice and tight. My single speed is an old road frame with vertical dropouts and I used a BMX half link chain to make sure the chain was the right length. My fixie has the horrible 'facing forward' dropouts but it still works ok, just do the nuts up plenty tight.