Seat post slippage

lackofgrip
lackofgrip Posts: 851
edited November 2013 in Workshop
Bought a new Planet X Kaffenback 2 and am suffering seat post slippage. I tightened the clamp and bust it and bought another one but still suffering the same slippage only slight but it's there. Clamp is 29.8. Can anyone suggest a bullet proof seat clamp?????

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,182
    try putting some antiseize or assembly paste on the post, it'll give a bit of extra grip and also reduce the risk of a jammed seatpost in future
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    You could try carbon paste - regardless of actual material. It has tiny balls of 'performance grit' in it to provide added friction.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Cheers guys, where would I get some? Which brand is best?
  • smidsy
    lackofgrip wrote:
    Cheers guys, where would I get some? Which brand is best?

LBS

Finish Line has the biggest grit (which is sometimes an issue for tight fitting post/seat tube combos) other brands available and generally smaller grit content.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smidsy
    I have a tube of that (unused) if you want to try it. £5
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    You could always try a jubilee clip (as advised on a thread that's currently running on this forum). :wink:
  • Copperslip does the job as well - its slightly gritty due to the bits of copper in it and is an anti seize compound so no seizing.
  • For a bullet proof seat clamp you could get a twin bolt seat clamp with one bolt clamping the frame and the top bolt clamping the seat tube. The problem may be finding one with 27.2/29.8 dimensions.
  • For a bullet proof seat clamp you could get a twin bolt seat clamp with one bolt clamping the frame and the top bolt clamping the seat tube. The problem may be finding one with 27.2/29.8 dimensions.

I'm on it, but it seems impossible!!!!!!
  • M Velo
    M Velo Posts: 79
    You can also try the Shimano Anti Seize. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod27624.
    Custom build Trek MTB
    Madone 6.9 => Madone 7series
  • lackofgrip wrote:
    For a bullet proof seat clamp you could get a twin bolt seat clamp with one bolt clamping the frame and the top bolt clamping the seat tube. The problem may be finding one with 27.2/29.8 dimensions.

I see that Carboncycles.cc do have a 27.2/31.8 twin bolt seat clamp so you could cut down a 29.8/31.8 shim to fit the frame before fitting the seat clamp. Alternatively,and if you're handy at diy, you could make a suitable shim out of a thin strip of aluminium which could save you the cost of buying a shim that you're only going to have to butcher.

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=2&c=73&p=851&
  • lackofgrip wrote:
    For a bullet proof seat clamp you could get a twin bolt seat clamp with one bolt clamping the frame and the top bolt clamping the seat tube. The problem may be finding one with 27.2/29.8 dimensions.

I see that Carboncycles.cc do have a 27.2/31.8 twin bolt seat clamp so you could cut down a 29.8/31.8 shim to fit the frame before fitting the seat clamp. Alternatively,and if you're handy at diy, you could make a suitable shim out of a thin strip of aluminium which could save you the cost of buying a shim that you're only going to have to butcher.

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=2&c=73&p=851&

Thanks, just trying to find a shim now! and failing :roll:
  • Would this be any good?
    http://www.mailorderbikes.com/m5b0s244p ... _29_6-31_8

Also couldn't I just buy a 27.2 clamp for around the actual seatpost?
  • lackofgrip wrote:
    No I'm afraid not. Whilst you would normally use a seatpot shim to reduce the internal diameter of the seat tube, You'd be looking for one to increase the external diameter from 29.8 to 31.8. A thin strip of aluminium or hard plastic wrapped around the top of the seat tube would suffice.
    Also couldn't I just buy a 27.2 clamp for around the actual seatpost?
    If you just clamp the seatpost but then it would spin in the seat tube and possibly bounce up and down when you're out of the saddle.

It has only just occurred to me to suggest a better clamping seat clamp, and the one I found best on a slipping seatpost in a PX frame was the Thomson seat collar. I've used one on a PX frame for a couple of years and haven't had any slippage since, plus for you they're available in 29.8.
  • I have just removed the seatpost to take some caliper measurements,

The post is 27.0 not 27.2

The internal diameter of the seat tube is around 27.4/5 which I would presume is about right.

Back down to Planet X tomorrow. :|

It's already cost me a new seat clamp. I'll be claiming the money back for that too. :roll:
  • Also when measure the seatposts on both my bikes I found that the diameter varies when measurements taken between 12-6 and 9-3 o' clock. 12 o'clock being inline with the crossbar.

Are all seat-posts like this?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    lackofgrip wrote:
    Also when measure the seatposts on both my bikes I found that the diameter varies when measurements taken between 12-6 and 9-3 o' clock. 12 o'clock being inline with the crossbar.

Are all seat-posts like this?

No. Mine are all round.
  • Do you have an aero one?

Alternatively is it a carbon one that you've used in the rain? This sounds like its gone weft a tad.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Do you have an aero one?

Alternatively is it a carbon one that you've used in the rain? This sounds like its gone weft a tad.

Stop that now!
  • I can't - its a material issue that is beyond even my powers to control. Sorry.

It can be discounted in this case as I'm sure the OP did his research before buying the bike/seat post.
  • Do you have an aero one?

No pal it's a standard Planet X alloy seatpost in steel Kaffenback frame

Also was taken back to shop today and they applied friction paste and said this should remedy the problem, but i'm not convinced it will. :roll:
  • I have purchased a Dorico Pro 3T seatpost from eBay and no slippage on short ride this morning.

Fingers crossed, defective seatpost. Planet X will be getting it back shortly.