Wheel upgrade.

scosmi
scosmi Posts: 10
edited December 2013 in Road beginners
Hi,

Im planning on upgrading the wheels on my 2013 Cannondale super six 105.
Which are the best to buy Mavic Cosmic elites or Mavic Ksyrium Equipe S WTS as Ive found them at similar prices or is there a better alternative in this price range?.
I am 78kgs and using the bike for club runs and sportives.

Thanks.

Comments

• Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    may be best asking in the buying advice section and not the beginners.
  • beginners error therefore probably the right place to ask.

how about fulcrum racing 3's or quattros?
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
    Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
    Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
    Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    scosmi wrote:
    Which are the best to buy Mavic Cosmic elites or Mavic Ksyrium Equipe S

I imagine they are both probably equal in the buying stakes.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I think the best advice would take the usual form:

1. Unless your stock wheels are knackered then keep them on and ride through the winter (lot's of threads on "winter wheels", etc). Some decent winter tyres can make a big difference (I am riding Ultremo DDs and have been really impressed, but there are lot of good options).

2. Go to Road Buying Advice and type in "Wheels", make a cuppa and then sit back and work your way through the 'factory/handbuilts' debate, the 'do lighter wheels make you faster' debate, the 'which wheels for £300' debate...and then buy the ones you like the look of as they will make you 3 mph faster, apparently.
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    1. Unless your stock wheels are knackered then keep them on and ride through the winter (lot's of threads on "winter wheels", etc). Some decent winter tyres can make a big difference (I am riding Ultremo DDs and have been really impressed, but there are lot of good options).

Agreed. This is what I'm planning on doing. I took my stock alexrims off back in June in preference to a set of RS80's, but this weekend I plan to put the Alex wheels back on and run them through the winter - I really don't care if they get trashed :). RS80's will be back on when the weather improves.
    2. Go to Road Buying Advice and type in "Wheels", make a cuppa and then sit back and work your way through the 'factory/handbuilts' debate, the 'do lighter wheels make you faster' debate, the 'which wheels for £300' debate...and then buy the ones you like the look of as they will make you 3 mph faster, apparently.

hehe, they will make a difference but not 3mph of course ;). My RS80's have made a difference to my bike, the most noticable being on 'rolling' terrain where I can maintain speed much easier than before.
  • upsfon
    upsfon Posts: 13
    scosmi wrote:
    Hi,

Im planning on upgrading the wheels on my 2013 Cannondale super six 105.
    Which are the best to buy Mavic Cosmic elites or Mavic Ksyrium Equipe S WTS as Ive found them at similar prices or is there a better alternative in this price range?.
    I am 78kgs and using the bike for club runs and sportives.

Thanks.
    I faced the same problem some time ago...
    My stock wheelset is Mavic Ksyrium Equipe, and after quite a long research I opted for Campagnolo Shamal Ultra for the next season.
    I agree Shamals are expensive but they are one of the best (if not the best ever) aluminium clincher wheels out there on the market...
    The candidate #2 was Fulcrum Racing Zero...
  • I've got a pair of mavic krysium elite s wheels on hold in the LBS for the spring to replace the RS10's on my supersix.apparently they get great reviews and are great wheels for the price.roll on the spring till I find out.
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • Mavic Ksyrium Elites are quite hard to find in stock, and generally about £420.

However, there are £320, including shipping to the uk from www.4thedike.de

Mine were delivered last week.