Reducing travel on RS Revelation forks

trigger118
trigger118 Posts: 191
edited November 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

A friend has asked me to reduce the travel on her 150mm Revelation forks down to 130mm.

Now I know that involves adding a 20mm spacer into the fork however I have never taken apart a pair of forks so could anyone advise whereabouts it goes? I'm waiting on confirmation of the year of the fork but they are an RLT Ti model if that means anything to anyone.

http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/_jmMO ... manual.pdf

That is the service manual for the 2013 model, what I am trying to work out is where the spacer would fit, I'm assuming that it is on the air shaft side so that the fork effectively tops out sooner but that is just a guess (looking at the exploded diagram on page 4).

Finally, on page 10 it talks about 'optional travel change adjustment' but says that this is done by replacing the entire air spring? Could anyone confirm or deny this? Is there two ways of doing it? I was convinced it was done by adding a spacer!

Thanks
2010 Norco Shore 2
2007 Commencal MaxMax
2013 Nukeproof Mega AM

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so... what fork do you have? a rev what? and year?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • It's a Rev RLT Ti, just waiting on confirmation of the year, I'm sure it's either a 2012 or 2013 (I know it's important) but I don't know if any of the other questions can be answered with the information I have?
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    trigger118 wrote:
    Finally, on page 10 it talks about 'optional travel change adjustment' but says that this is done by replacing the entire air spring? Could anyone confirm or deny this? Is there two ways of doing it? I was convinced it was done by adding a spacer!
    I think this is a reference to changing the fork to travel-adjustable (ie "dual position") which would indeed need a new airspring assembly, as it's a completely different system, but you're right, if you simply want to reduce the travel of a single-position fork it is just a case of adding the correct spacer.
    My manual wrote:
    All Travel spacers are located...between the base plate and negative piston... If you want to change the travel of your fork, install the travel spacer(s) onto the Dual Air shaft to decrease travel, or remove them to increase travel.
  • Ah ok, that would make sense (re. the travel change adjustment) didnt think of that.

Not 100% clear on where the spacers would fit though sorry, would it be the rebound piston/damper shaft or the air shaft? or am I way off? (I'm just looking at the exploded diagram of the manual I linked and it hadnt got a negative piston labelled. Like I say never had forks apart before!
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • Check this thread and check documents apply to your fork
    viewtopic.php?f=10004&t=12947569
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The spacer moves the base postion of the rebound bumper so it comes in early limiting rebound and thus travel.

Did the opposite on my daughters Recon XC (which is a short travel Rev) took about 20 minutes from start to finish including cleaning and refilling all fluids..
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    Are the forks OEM or aftermarket ?

Not sure that OEM come with spacers
  • The Rookie
    As he's adding spacers that is somewhat irrelevant, if he were shortening it would be.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for the help guys,

Stupid question, what is OEM and aftermarket? Or more specifically what is the difference?
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • The Rookie
    Aftermarket forks tend to be more configurable, so short travel ones come with spacers instead of a longer guide tube of an OE fork for example, also some are a cheat (like the case of the "Reba's" which had Recon internals).