Turbo trainer needed but not tacx crap???

revtherocket
revtherocket Posts: 9
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
I have a tacx fortius and I'm sick of it, just spent £1000 on a computer to run the software and it still pisses me about freezing jumping and allsorts of software problems so it's time to throw the pile of shit in the bin and get something else?? But what??? Any ideas????????

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Unplug it?

Elite do some things that connect up to computers don't they? Sure I saw rollers that do, so they must do turbos too.

Or get a Watt bike or something like that to play with?

(Maybe it's your computer hardware/software that's the problem but the problem is a bitch to pin down, does everybody that has them fail to get them to behave?)

(oh look, you can type and show 'bloody' but it won't show 'b1tch', that's a bloody b1tch)
  • Rather than throw your Fortius away I'll give you a fiver for it.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Crikey - i spent £175 on a 2nd hand standalone computer and £30 on a graphics card...... and it works perfectly.

What operating system are you using?
  • Windows 7
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    64 bit Win7? That may well be the issue. I'd say more likely is the TTS software also seems sensitive to certain graphics cards like an expensive AMD Radeon Saphire which i couldnt get to work, but a £30 Nvidea card works perfectly. Try a google search about it - many seem to stick to older operating systems (like me) using XP etc, or go to Win8. Setup does seem such a pain but once cracked with the latest drivers and a compatible graphics card should be fine.
  • Have a read through http://forum.tacx.com/ as any IT issues should have been covered there.

Like others I have a cheap pc with inexpensive graphics card that runs most things and which I purchased after gleaning information from the Tacx forum. I know that if I wanted to use some of the programs in TTS4 my IT would need a substantial upgrade but paying a grand seems excessive for it not to work. List your pc spec over there and the'll be able to advise on your spec and any set up issues.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I bought a cheap desk top with Windows 8 for around £300 and £150 for a 24" screen monitor. I run the TTS4 software with an Advanced licence and Google Earth licence. Yes it was a pain in the backside to set up with problems downloading all the updates to the software, but once these were all downloaded it has run faultlessly.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • pithy
    You got any tips I bought Igenius had to return first braking motor new one will not connect Trying to install latest update getting licence not valid
  • StillGoing
    rocket1 wrote:
    pithy
    You got any tips I bought Igenius had to return first braking motor new one will not connect Trying to install latest update getting licence not valid

When I first installed the software (TTS4) I had all sorts of problems doing the upgrades to the software. I had licences for the Advanced software, Google earth and multiplayer and thought I'd put the codes in correctly. In the end, I used the help function to contact the Tacx geeks with each problem. They were pretty quick to respond with things to try and in the end got it all working perfectly. To install the software upgrades I used the support icon rather than use the actual TTS4 program. Each time I tried using the TTS4 program to do the upgrades the PC would show a not responding pop up. Using the support icon each download worked without a problem.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Wahoo kickr.

The tacx environment is ok when it works but it is fussy and not all that stable. Plus now I've a power meter I can see how inaccurate my genius is.

Given my time again I'd go kickr and be delighted to get an open source environment and calibrated accuracy.
  • StillGoing
    Sorry, but once set up correctly, the Tacx environment is perfectly stable. Yes it is a pain in the backside to get set up, but once done is perfectly good for the job. A power meter on any of the top turbo manufacturers will give accurate output readings. A Wahoo Kickr at almost a £1k plus the cost of an iPad or iPhone and Apple TV to relay the data to a big screen is hardly a cheap option especially when the OP has already forked out a small fortune on their Tacx set up.