What "Luxury" item do you consider most essential

2»

Comments

• Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Antm81 wrote:
    Back on topic, padded shorts, not strictly needed but make life so much better.

My arsë agrees.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Try working in an opticians for a few years, and seeing how many doddery practically blind OAPs are still driving - then you'll be scared... :lol:

I can live with that. It's people crashing into me because they prefer to spend money on fags instead of tyres that I object to.

Does it really matter what the reason they've crashed into you was? Your car's still equally bent, lol.
  • Angus Young
    Does it really matter what the reason they've crashed into you was? Your car's still equally bent, lol.

On a practical level, no. On a philosophical level, yes.
  • Kowalski675
    Years ago I had a 1.8 Nissan Bluebird (affectionally known as The Vessel) with "Roadstone"s at one end and "Woo Sung"s at the other (I think they may have been made from Bakelite). Christ, you've never experienced understeer like that, lol. Interesting in the wet... Once spun it on a back road that was about 12 inches wider than the car was long, miraculously missing the walls on either side and coming away with just a few blades of grass sticking out of the radiator grille, lol. Happy days...
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    The Rookie wrote:
    Absolutely not, I pay what I need to get the right result, I won't spend more than I think I have to though, so I am happy to splurge the cash to get what I want, on the other hand my hydration pack works just as well as one costing £80 and left me £70odd to spend on something else.

How do you know its just as good, you purchased both at the same time to make an informed judgement?

Anyway most essential luxury item - Garmin 800 with OS mapping. Without a doubt.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Try working in an opticians for a few years, and seeing how many doddery practically blind OAPs are still driving - then you'll be scared... :lol:

I can live with that. It's people crashing into me because they prefer to spend money on fags instead of tyres that I object to.

Must object to the cheap dig at smokers there. We're not all the dirty, NHS burdening scumbags the Daily Makes wants you to believe we are. Do you have previous with a smoker who you can prove scrimped on tyres and then as a direct result crashed into you? Otherwise I completely fail to see the connection. Live and let live.

Back on topic - My luxury item would be dropper post and camelbak. Can easily live without either but both mean you can spend more time riding.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    CitizenLee wrote:

Must object to the cheap dig at smokers there. We're not all the dirty, NHS burdening scumbags the Daily Makes wants you to believe we are. Do you have previous with a smoker who you can prove scrimped on tyres and then as a direct result crashed into you? Otherwise I completely fail to see the connection. Live and let live.

Back on topic - My luxury item would be dropper post and camelbak. Can easily live without either but both mean you can spend more time riding.

I think he was having a dig at the scum bags who live off benefits and do feck all with their lives rather than smokers. I may be wrong but that's how I read it.
  • CitizenLee
    Another group to demonise?

Do we hate immigrants too? :lol:

Coming over here, riding our bikes etc...

:mrgreen::lol:
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Angus Young
    CitizenLee wrote:

Relax, "fags" was just a catch-all for general selfish mindlessness.
  • Kowalski675
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Must object to the cheap dig at smokers there. We're not all the dirty, NHS burdening scumbags the Daily Makes wants you to believe we are.

You might not be a scumbag, but you do stink. You just won't realise until you quit, lol... :wink:
  • CitizenLee
    Haha no worries Angus.

Kowalski, true but I was my hands, face and freshen breath after every cig. Hate stinky smokers too :)

I do hope to quit one day though.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • My most valued part would have to be a good, quiet, reliable, and smooth shifting drivetrain. I have been riding my bikes with quite poor drivetrains for as long as i can remember. But the drivetrain on my latest bike is spot on, and ive loved it.
  • Kowalski675
    Warm sunshine.
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    Garmin

Feels like if I went for a ride without it, the ride didn't really count :shock:
  • ... It's people crashing into me because they prefer to spend money on fags instead of tyres that I object to.
    Have you ever tried smoking a tyre? If you're going to smoke, stick with fags...
  • Kowalski675
    tootsie323 wrote:
    Have you ever tried smoking a tyre?

Many times.

viewtopic.php?f=10002&t=12947571

:wink:
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    ednino wrote:
    Garmin

Feels like if I went for a ride without it, the ride didn't really count :shock:

Amen to that, I could not live without mine now!
  • Angus Young
    Warm sunshine.

For the next couple of months sunshine of any kind, warm or otherwise, would do.
  • Kowalski675
    Warm sunshine.

For the next couple of months sunshine of any kind, warm or otherwise, would do.

I suspect that we'll both be s**t out of luck, as Harry Callahan would say. :(
  • Hmm, I guess it would be the camelbak if we're counting them as a luxury item.
    Otherwise, being all dull about it, the fact that I have a fancy road bike, a fancy mountain bike AND a commuter hack. I should imagine large parts of the globe would be more than happy with just the last one of the set. :¬(
    Music, beer, sport, repeat...
  • Jay76
    Jay76 Posts: 58
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Must object to the cheap dig at smokers there. We're not all the dirty, NHS burdening scumbags the Daily Makes wants you to believe we are.

You might not be a scumbag, but you do stink. You just won't realise until you quit, lol... :wink:

You dont know what your missing.. nothing better after a ride than sparking up a sweet golden vag. Ahhhhh i could go for one now
    **2011 Cove Stiffee**
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    Jay76 wrote:
    nothing better after a ride than sparking up a sweet golden vag. Ahhhhh i could go for one now

I want Jay's luxury item please!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • booldawg
    booldawg Posts: 290
    my twin Cree T6 LED lights. Have helped me discovered the joys of night riding and kept my MTB groups Wednesday night rides alive. A lot of lumens for £30.
    1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
    2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/
  • Kowalski675
    Jay76 wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:

You dont know what your missing..

Stinking and dying of lung cancer. Don't fancy either thanks, you can keep 'em, lol.
  • Smartphone is my luxury item. I use Endomondo to log all my rides, both commute/road and MTB. I love it as I have taken off the bike computer from all the bikes and stopped manually logging all my rides.

Saves me time/money and made my bike less cluttered.