Fulcrum Racing 5's

col64
col64 Posts: 4
edited November 2013 in Workshop
Hi, hoping somebody can help a newbie out.
Just recently bought my first carbon road frame, a Ribble Gran Fondo and ordered a set of Fulcrum Racing 5 wheels to go with it, which arrived today.
Now looking through the specs on the Fulcrums the quick releases are compatible with dropouts with a max thickness of 7.5 mm and the Ribble front fork has dropouts of 10 mm.... just wondering if anybody out there has this set up and just used the supplied quick releases?

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Are you including the lawyer's tabs in that measurement? It means the width of the part that gets clamped. In any case there's nothing unusual about the Ribble and I'd very surprised if there's any issue using the standard QRs.
  • col64
    Thanks for the quick reply. No, not including the lawyers tabs.... which is a new term for me, you learn something new everyday! lol. I did phone Ribble earlier and the woman I spoke to didn't really seem to know too much about it.
    When you read that using theses quick releases with dropouts thicker than recommended could result in an accident, personal injury or death it kinda makes you worry!!
  • yadn
    yadn Posts: 11
    the best thing to do is install the wheel, do the skewers up and then have a look at how far through the acorn nut the rod is. Ideally you want the end of the rod to be sitting about flush(ish) with the nut, but 2/3 of the way through should be ok.

the skewers are designed to be able to deal with a fair amount of force, so you shouldn't have a problem - but less than 2/3 I would change it, just for your own peace of mind on those long hills if nothing else!

pootle down to your LBS and ask them to have a dig around and find something for you - preferably with an enclosed cam (shimano do a cracking line in skewers).

hope this helps

also - I have racing 5s. great choice.
  • col64
    Hi yadn, thanks so much for the information you've given. Will certainly take your advice and visit my LBS if I have any doubts about the fit of the skewers.
    Thanks for thumbs up on the wheels, did a lot of research on which wheels to go for and am very pleased with the choice I've made... nice looking wheels for the money.
    Thanks again.