What Merino LS tops?

kevinharley
kevinharley Posts: 554
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
As is evident in the title, where are people buying their Merino LS baselayers? Looking for good value primarily, ideally under £30.

Cheers

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Aldi - £17.99(IIRC) for a 100% Merino base layer. Very comfy.
  • Aldi is not 100 % merino . Having said that I got one and it's very warm.
  • Aldi is not 100 % merino . Having said that I got one and it's very warm.

They had 2 versions of tops last time they were on offer, one of those was definitely 100% merino.
  • I have Endura Baa Baa's and Ice Breaker GT's - both very good but the Ice Breaker is more of a technical top. The Endura looks OK with a pair of jeans for example (and the arms are slightly short for me - I have long arms I guess)

Although don't normally wear the Merino stuff on the bikes, that's strictly snowboarding wear for me. For the bike I normally just chuck on whichever baselayer or compression top I grab first
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Aldi is not 100 % merino .
    Yes it is.

I think in the past there may have been a blended base layer, as I've seen a lot of comment like yours, and I know the jersey they sell is a merino blend too, but this year's base layer is definitely 100% merino.
  • I'm guessing the Aldi ones are unlikely to be available though - didn't they have the cycling stuff for sale a few weeks ago, or do they often stock merino tops on an ongoing basis as general outdoor gear rather than cycling specific gear?
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Aldi is not 100 % merino .

The most recent ones were.
  • cborrman
    cborrman Posts: 125
    As is evident in the title, where are people buying their Merino LS baselayers? Looking for good value primarily, ideally under £30.

Cheers

i got some decathlon ones a year or so back for £20, but the £thirty-something Endura Baa baa mentioned below as well gets my vote
    s-works stumpy FSR, sl2 tarmac, siglespeed rockhopper and a bog standard allez
  • Got nyself 2 helly hansen merino baselayers for £25 each... never had anything like it before but its definately warm!
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I have a quite a few Endura Baa Baa merino base layers and highly rate them. The correct size has a nicely fitted cut to it, with more than enough stretch in the fabric to fit round my slightly tubby belly if required. Or you can go up a size for a looser fit and use it as your one and only layer.

They are well made, I got mine about 3 years ago and have used them regularly for commuting and MTB duties and they are only just showing some signs of wear. also see them pop up every now then on sale too.

Also take a look at On One they usually have some well priced merino stuff.
  • More aldi stuff due on 22nd Nov .
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I've got an On One merino base layer which seems to work well.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Got one of these and wore it yesterday whilst out walking £30 and 100% Merino. Very comfy and feels nice and smooth next to the skin. Only problem the cuffs are a little on the large size and I ended up rolling the last couple of inches up, havent worn it on the bike yet and that inch or so might be just perfect when leaning forward. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171138886284?var=470291814148&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    passout wrote:
    I've got an On One merino base layer which seems to work well.

On One seem to be out of stock at the moment but when it is back in stock I will be getting a short sleeve base for spring.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    I have Endura Baa Baa's and Ice Breaker GT's - both very good but the Ice Breaker is more of a technical top.

Got both of these and they are about the same quality and warmth - Icebreaker is perhaps a finer weave. Paid around £35 for each of them.Work nicely under a windstopper softshell down to zero degrees