LOL

RideOnTime
RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
edited November 2013 in The cake stop
Well I know that but OMG, HND means have a nice day!! not have no degree.

Comments

• thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    94sLQlY.gif
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    RideOnTime wrote:
    HND means have a nice day!! not have no degree.

I used to teach (photoshop) to HND students and never heard that one, nice :D

they said it was - Horizontal Naked Dance - a euphemism apparently.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    There used to be a 'degree' scheme called CAMS (Credit accumulation modular scheme), where you could build your own course out of bits of everything, such as a unit of chemistry, one of business, and a third of advanced knitting.

The non-cams students said it stood for "Crap at most subjects", which was closer to the truth than most of the academics dared to admit.

The older I get, the better I was.

• RideOnTime
    When I was at University a Desmond was widely recognised as a shorthand for a 2:2 degree - as in Desmond Tutu which is still widely used I understand. At the time I thought one of my friends have come up with Geoff Hurst (1st) but now I'm thinking they got that from somewhere else. As is seems to be common. This was circa 1990-1993 by the way.

Now I see Dan Qualye (is a fail), Trevor Nunn (2:1) and Douglas Hurd (3rd). A Douglas was definitely around at the time not sure about Trevor Nunn - was something else but I can't recall what...
  • RideOnTime
    tutu1.jpg
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    I seem to remember being told that GNVQ stood for Generally Not Very Qualified.
    :D
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    RideOnTime wrote:
    When I was at University a Desmond was widely recognised as a shorthand for a 2:2 degree - as in Desmond Tutu which is still widely used I understand. At the time I thought one of my friends have come up with Geoff Hurst (1st) but now I'm thinking they got that from somewhere else. As is seems to be common. This was circa 1990-1993 by the way.

Now I see Dan Qualye (is a fail), Trevor Nunn (2:1) and Douglas Hurd (3rd). A Douglas was definitely around at the time not sure about Trevor Nunn - was something else but I can't recall what...

Yup - "I got a Desmond" was a well known phrase. I also heard about getting "A Douglas".

As for the Trevor Nunn, well - never heard of it. Ironic, really, as that's what I got :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • secretsam
    BTW in the NHS if you see "TTFO" on your notes it means "Told to Fark Off" - ie a timewaster (usually in A&E)

• Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    SecretSam wrote:
    BTW in the NHS if you see "TTFO" on your notes it means "Told to Fark Off" - ie a timewaster (usually in A&E)

WOMBAT - Waste Of Money, Bed And Time :wink:

NFRH - Normal For Round Here - is one that's been "officially discouraged"
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • secretsam
    Giraffoto wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

Isn't there a whole series of paramedic/A&E ones for drunk people?

Was watching that "999: What's your emergency" thing a few weeks ago and they had a "Code Brown"!!!! Ewww

• RideOnTime
    SecretSam wrote:

variation of waste if money brains and time
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    When I was at uni in the early 90s, HND was 'Have No Degree'.

The best one though, was 'Environmental Engineering'. This was the actual name of the course, but it stood for 'shit at engineering and an idle waste of space'.

It was the course that the drop outs tended to join.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    My favourite is BOBFOC.

Body Off Baywatch, Face Off Crimewatch.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    Joelsim wrote:
    My favourite is BOBFOC.

AKA a 'prawn'.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    My favourite is BOBFOC.

AKA a 'prawn'.
    Or the converse: FFTBBC. Face from Titian, Body by Bosch. Copyright The Profanisaurus.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • secretsam
    ...or:

WDWNF - Well Developed Well Nourished Female.

• capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    Giraffoto wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

Have also heard NFS which is 'Normal For Sheffield'.
    I was once having a laugh with a doctor friend about these, but he took a very dim view of them. As he pointed out, they are funny until you have something go to court and then you have to explain what they mean to the bench.

The older I get, the better I was.

• secretsam
    Capt Slog wrote:
    Giraffoto wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

Have also heard NFS which is 'Normal For Sheffield'.
    I was once having a laugh with a doctor friend about these, but he took a very dim view of them. As he pointed out, they are funny until you have something go to court and then you have to explain what they mean to the bench.

Teacher friend uses "NFN" to describe some kids, as in "Normal for Norfolk" - and yes, such slang is dying out in medical records due to litigation, increased scrutiny of records and the use of e-records rather than paper.