Something rolling in my Chainstay

Lumpy Roads
Lumpy Roads Posts: 91
edited November 2013 in Workshop
Hi Guys,
I know the answer to this is take your bottom bracket out and have a look. But that's not so simple, so looking for suggestions as to what this might be.

I have a Carbon Giant Defy Advanced bike, I have recently taken the wheels and chain off to give it a thorough clean, when I noticed that as I tip the frame backwards and forwards, it sounds like there is a ballbearing in the drive-side chain stay. I say ball bearing because it doesn't take much of an angle to make it go from front to back. Has anyone ever heard of this before? I believe the BB is Giants equivalent of BB30, BB86 or something similar. It couldn't be a ball-bearing out of the bearings, could it. The cranks appear to go around smoothly enough. It could have been like this ever since I bought it in May, but I also had an accident about a month ago, which only really caused damage to the handlebars and shifters.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Steve

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    It won't be a bearing, but probably some sort of debris from the build process. I'd take it to your LBS and get them to investigate. Depends on how the frame is constructed and whether there's a hole to 'fish' the debris out.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..