X9 or SLX crankset

ej2320
ej2320 Posts: 1,543
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
Just wondering if anyone can comment with experience on either or both?
The X9 crankset is £13 cheaper than the SLX
Any thoughts

Cheers

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    ej2320 wrote:
    Any thoughts

Cheers

Where have you seen an X9 crank for £13 cheaper than an SLX. I had a quick look and you can get the SLX 2x10 for £99 at CRC but the cheapest X9 I can find is £148 and thats a BB30 version.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • shindig
    shindig Posts: 173
    I run slx 2 x 9 on my three bikes. Coupled with slx 2 x 9 front mechs. On 2 bikes i runs x9 shifters and x9 rear mechs. On the other i run slx shadow rear mech with sram rocket shifters. I prefer the x9 / slx combo.
  • ej2320
    stubs wrote:
    ej2320 wrote:
    Any thoughts

Cheers

Where have you seen an X9 crank for £13 cheaper than an SLX. I had a quick look and you can get the SLX 2x10 for £99 at CRC but the cheapest X9 I can find is £148 and thats a BB30 version.

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/m ... acket.html
    X9 is £75
    On bike discount SLX is £88 ( I think, it may be £90)
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Shimano BBs are loads better. I have a top end SRAM crankset and a cheap Shimano Deore crankset and the Shimano one is better quality and bottom brackets last a lot longer.
    GXP bottom brackets are more expensive as well.
  • stubs
    ej2320 wrote:
    stubs wrote:
    ej2320 wrote:
    Any thoughts

Cheers

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/m ... acket.html
    X9 is £75
    On bike discount SLX is £88 ( I think, it may be £90)

Thats bloomin cheap but check whether it comes with a BB if not SLX will work out even cheaper as it comes with a BB. Personally I would go with SLX as they look better in my opinion.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • ej2320
    The X9 does come with a BB
    I'm thinking I'll get the shimano down to Rockmonkeys point.. I've heard of GXP BBs failing, although my X7 has lasted a year now
  • Got bb30 x9 crankset x9 front and rear mech the bb30 is srams own . One year in and everything runs perfectly . Once indexed gears are spot on and rarely need touching. Would recommend .
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The crankset has nothing to do with your gears not needing regular adjustment.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    personally i'd go shimano all the way. and in my experience replacement parts are cheaper too
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    IMHO, Shimano cranksets are excellent.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I've just bought a set of those X9 cranks, mainly because It's a cheaper way of getting a 28 tooth chainring than buying X01/XX1 cranks.
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • stubs
    Think I might order one and stick it in the spares cupboard thats a killer price.
  • Shimano are lighter and stiffer. always shimano at that price point.
  • ej2320
    Looks like I'll cough up the extra £13 and get the SLX
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Currently using an X9 double at the moment and I've been impressed - stiff, light & no problems. That said you really can't go wrong with SLX either. If I would choosing I'd go by matching the kit on the rest of my bike (SRAM or Shimano) and the best deal. Merlin Cycles are great by the way.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Just quickly checked Ribble Cycles too - headline price for SLX seems to be about £68 - not including BB.
    Some good deals anyway, worth a look: http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pp/mtb-bm ... s-mtb/cham

Edit - BBs here: http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pp/mtb-bm ... s-mtb/btbm
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.