Road Convert

CollinsAJPeddler
CollinsAJPeddler Posts: 2
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Hello everyone :D

I'm new here on the forum. Live down in South Wales and have recently caught the cycling bug good and proper! Started out buying a fairly cheap mountain bike (Carrera Valour) from halfords but after a few months of going out and about on and off road I feel that a road bike, or maybe even a tourer, is more for me.

I'm looking for a bike that I can get fit on, probably looking to commute on it as well (approx. 5miles), and I've also set myself the goal of riding in charity events or some sportives.

And so I come to my question: I'm looking to spend up to £700 on a new bike, just wondered if anyone out there could impart some advice on what models to look for and what might be best for my needs.

Cheers :)

Comments

• As you're buying at this time of year and planning to commute, I'd say the Ribble Audax. Comes in at £659 with Tiagra and full guards. Will also take a rack which I'd think might be useful for you.

In the winter, take off the guards and rack and you've got a decent alu frame capable of racking up some serious miles in decent comfort.
  • beski
    beski Posts: 542
    I'm just in the process of getting a road bike in that sort of price bracket, I opted for the Giant Defy 4 2014, it's £599. Mudguards etc could be added as and when you need them.
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989