Nibali & Astana

Kev0brit
Kev0brit Posts: 6
edited November 2013 in Pro race
What are peoples general view of Nibali? Can we really trust anyone associated with Astana?

I like watching Nibali and I love the colour scheme of his specialized bike. But, I just think any team associated with Kazakhstan must be doping. I know thats a generalization about Kazakhstan, but lets be honest here, its a fucked up corrupt country. Plus Astana does have a dodgy history.

Comments

• interesting article with Martinelli in the latest pro-cycling. Says they have a full internal anti-doping testing scheme in place. Said they knew they had to improve their image
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    dave milne wrote:
    interesting article with Martinelli in the latest pro-cycling. Says they have a full internal anti-doping testing scheme in place. Said they knew they had to improve their image
    ...And now they gone and signed Scarponi and Pellizotti
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    dave milne wrote:
    interesting article with Martinelli in the latest pro-cycling. Says they have a full internal anti-doping testing scheme in place. Said they knew they had to improve their image

They haven't broken any rules with those signings.

They have been working with an Olympic Accredited anti-doping clinic in Orbassano in Italy, they have joined MPCC and acknowledge that they have a load of reputation repair to do.

Still, their not everyones cup of tea, so they won't win everyone over.

I like 'em. :oops:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    RichN95 wrote:
    dave milne wrote:

They haven't broken any rules with those signings.
    I know. (Well, except the MPCC rule). But if they are worried about image then signing ageing convicted dopers isn't the way to go.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • They've done right by the MPCC, Pellizotti is not racing until next May.

Several teams have ageing convicted and non convicted dopers. I think I prefer the convicted ones they have more to lose.

They were very keen to sign Froome last year. Does that shed them in a better light?

Thought not.
  • I'd look at them differently if Vino wasn't there
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Niballi holding on to service car for mechanical rest break in last 10 km of worlds ...in view of media was troubling. Not an Astana fan generally..sky feels safer bet for me
  • epc06
    epc06 Posts: 214
    Based on last season Nibs looks like the only rider capable of giving Froome a race in the TDF next year.
    Quite like him as a rider, but I would not be surprised is he was dirty as
  • Dave_1 wrote:
    Niballi holding on to service car for mechanical rest break in last 10 km of worlds ...in view of media was troubling. Not an Astana fan generally..sky feels safer bet for me

Wouldn't that have been the Italian team car, rather than the Astana one.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Dave_1 wrote:

He was quite clearly and blatantly breaking the rules, but as the commentator commented "The commisairs are shouting No No No on race radio, but If they penalise the Italian favorite, In Italy, there will be a riot". Made the race more interesting though. :D
  • dupe
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    I'd look at them differently if Vino wasn't there
    Astana team wouldn't exist is he wasn't. Also, a DS/Manager with a dodgy history is not rare.
  • dave_1
    Dave_1 wrote:

No shit sherlock? I never knew that. I am the UK cycling expert on twitter...thanks for the knowledge :roll:
  • dave_1
    mike6 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

He was quite clearly and blatantly breaking the rules, but as the commentator commented "The commisairs are shouting No No No on race radio, but If they penalise the Italian favorite, In Italy, there will be a riot". Made the race more interesting though. :D

It was troubling to see. He is in Astana. The Belgians wanted to lynch Bauer in 1988 when Criquelion came down so fights would have broken out if Nibali has been penalised I guess
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    Love Nibali. He goes for it and he gave Mr Horner a fright in that last climb in the Vuelta. Brave and attacking. When he crashed in the pouring rain in the Giro and gets straight back on his bike on and gets on with it. No fear.
    Who cares if dopes. Does anyone read the news :lol::lol::lol:
  • Dave_1 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

No shoot sherlock? I never knew that. I am the UK cycling expert on twitter...thanks for the knowledge :roll:

So what does this have to do with Astana then? You seem to be suggesting they are a bit dodgy because of something the Italian team did.
  • dave_1
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

No shoot sherlock? I never knew that. I am the UK cycling expert on twitter...thanks for the knowledge :roll:

So what does this have to do with Astana then? You seem to be suggesting they are a bit dodgy because of something the Italian team did.

nit picker and pain in the neck is all you ever are in replies. Go away and do something with your day silly troll!
  • Dave_1 wrote:
    nit picker and pain in the neck is all you ever are in replies. Go away and do something with your day silly troll!

OK, fair point. I'll stop nitpicking your posts if you stop posting rubbish.
  • They've done right by the MPCC, Pellizotti is not racing until next May.
    According to Inner Ring, the MPCC rules state they're not allowed to sign him until May. They've certainly ignored the letter, if not the spirit, of the rule.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Seems to be some ambivalence whether the rules mean sign or enter for races according to Cycling News. In French that they will not "engager" riders - as my French is very poor I'm just going by what they wrote.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]