Am I mad using my c24's on my winter bike?

2»

Comments

• Ok guys ive seen sense and took the c24's off the 'winter bike'
    I think I've considered all that has been said above with regards to my question.
    I've only been riding properly approx a year and owned a giant defy1 which once the dura ace wheels went on rode much much better.

Early september treated myself to a focus cayo 4.0..... had a bike fit.... put the dura ace wheels on and WOW :D
    So going back to the aluminium defy with its stock wheels is heavy and lifeless feel does make me look forward to the spring next year or the odd dry day where I might take out the focus.

My other thought was to shell out the extra and get a nice new set for my focus, but the more I read up I dont think im going to better the dura ace wheels at my level / weight.

I havent purchased them yet but I think I will either look a set of ultegra 6700 £199 @ ribble at the mo
    or keep my eyes on the classifieds / ebay for a good but used set of RS80 C24's
    that should make the defy a bit more fun to use over the winter lol
  • I was out at the weekend on my RS10's (replacing the RS80's) and probably a good job too as although it was dry the roads were caked in salt, turning my tyres white at some points.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Life's too short to ride with crap wheels, unless you are commuting, perhaps.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • antfly wrote:

Good post. Do you have deep pockets?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    edited November 2013
    It's the front rim that's going to wear out first, as long as you look after the hubs, and front wheels aren't that expensive. It's worth the money to me because I cycle almost as much in the winter as the summer and I want to enjoy it. Having said that my rims aren't showing signs of wear anyway.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • antfly wrote:

Up to a point I have to agree as they do roll much more slowly than my RS80s.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    I wore through a set of Mavic Aksiums in less than 4500 miles over the course of 2 winters so there's no way I'm using my c24s during crap weather because I want them to last longer than that given how much they cost. I've heard the Mavics have soft rims that are prone to rapid wear so the c24s might not be so bad, but I'm not risking it. If you've got money to burn then fair enough.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    It really does depend on the day though - this morning was a lovely crisp morning and the main road was dry - could've taken my best bike quite happily ... then I did the usual turn off to go through the lanes and it was wet and mucky - glad I'm on the CX bike then ...