Muc Off Bike Spray or Silicon Shine?

malayneum
malayneum Posts: 18
edited November 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
if i had to choose one which one is recommended? bike spray or Silicon Shine? the salesman at my LBS told me they both the same.

Comments

• Cheapest . Personally neither I just just use a low pressure hosepipe and water. Get either product on your brakescand you willmsoon know about it.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Get either product on your brakescand you willmsoon know about it.

So don't spray it on your brakes, lol. It's not the product's fault if the user's an incompetent idiot.
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    Silicon Shine smells brilliant.
  • Bike Spray is similar to WD-40 so should only be used to drive out moisture. What ever you do, DO NOT GET THEM ON YOUR PADS OR ROTORS. Just take them off your bike if you're giving it a full spray.

And Silicone Shine smells of cherries. Need I say more?
    Part time weight weenie
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Muc Off has no effect on brakes. And is nothing like WD40.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Lots of water, a sponge, sorted.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Fenwicks smells best!
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • Muc-off kills bearings
    Bikes:
    Cannondale Killer V 1995 (Promo model) - My first Race bike now converted to a commuter
    Lapierre X-Flow 712 - XC fs rocket
    Pivot Mach 6 - Enduro Machine
    Pinarello FP2 - Roadie
  • cooldad
    So don't use it in bearings. Try grease instead.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you want to change your nice, shiney paintjob into a dull, matt finish use Muc Off - it's also pretty good at degrading bearings seals and age-hardening the rubber in tyres IME. I stopped using the stuff years ago and prefer to use a bucket of hot, soapy water.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Kowalski675
    cooldad wrote:
    Muc Off has no effect on brakes. And is nothing like WD40.

He didn't say it was. He said that Muc Off's Bike Spray is. He's right - it's basically the same as GT85.
  • Kowalski675
    Monty Dog wrote:
    I stopped using the stuff years ago and prefer to use a bucket of hot, soapy water.

Hope you're not using washing up liquid - that's decidely non friendly to paint, anodising etc.
  • cooldad
    Ah I just use the pink stuff. Because it's pretty and cheap. On special anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    cooldad wrote:
    Ah I just use the pink stuff. Because it's pretty and cheap. On special anyway.

Aye, the pink stuff's the cleaner - the original Muc Off product, but now they use it as a brand name for their whole range. The Bike Spray's a water disprersal spray, like GT85.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    It's a crap joke but Muc-Off should really be called Rip-Off. Such a con.

Just get a 2l bottle of Swarfega Oil & Grease remover for ~£5 and 99p spray bottle. It dilutes 1:50 so lasts years :wink:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/swarfega-oil- ... 2ltr/50166
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    My routine

Pre-rinse
    Neat Fenwicks with toothbrush for degreasing
    1/10th Fenwicks/water for cleaning rest of bike
    A good rinse and bounce dry
    A wipe down with a cloth
    GT85 (with wheels off or braking surfaces covered) in drivetrain/shocks
    GT85 with a cloth on everywhere else
    Chain lube

Washing up liquid is safe BTW, providing you rinse well. Howver I bought a gallon of Fenwicks in 2010 for £35 and still have 1/3 of it left.
  • cooldad
    CitizenLee wrote:

Just get a 2l bottle of Swarfega Oil & Grease remover for ~£5 and 99p spray bottle. It dilutes 1:50 so lasts years :wink:

I don't want to remove oil and grease. Just mud and crud.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    BigJimmyB wrote:
    Washing up liquid is safe BTW, providing you rinse well.

It contains salt and abrasives, and is bad for paint. Over time it'll do the same to a painted finish that you're criticising Muc Off for. I used to know a guy who worked for a chemical company that made (amongst other things) washing up liquid. Knowing exactly what went into it he said he'd never use it to wash his bike or car.
  • Kowalski675
    I just use car shampoo for washing off mud and dirt, but if you want to shift drivetrain crud then this stuff is brilliant:

SWAJAN60O.jpg

Dilute it to use for general washing, or use neat for shifting real filth. Far more effective than Muc Off, and much cheaper.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    cooldad wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:

I don't want to remove oil and grease. Just mud and crud.

Well I've been using it for years and can say it does a fantastic job of that too... but if you want to pay a lot more for something that does the same thing then that's entirely up to you :wink:

Like most cleaners it obviously shouldn't be used on breaks, mechs or bearings.

Another tip is to wipe a dab of silicone fork spray on your frame before you ride... stops the mud sticking.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Asses milk was good enough for degreasing Cleopatra.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll: