Doing anything special for the TDF?

Has anyone ridden the route from Leeds to Harrogate that the tour will do next year?

Cheers,
Ian

Comments

• call me a cynic but do you have any conflict of interest to declare here?
  • Cynic!

haha I see that it could have been viewed as a cheeky plug but I was genuinely just asking. Anyways, I have taken the link away - was just keen to find out if anyone had done this ride and if anyone was getting involved in any of the events that will be happening.
  • I was hoping there would be an event before the tour goes through that includes riding the route?

In any case for the day itself - I was hoping to go and stay near Leeds for a couple of nights, but it all seems fully booked. No matter, it's only 90 minutes drive from here so I hope to park up somewhere and cycle along to see a stage.
  • I've just been invited to ride with Sky Velo from Edinburgh to Harrogate to arrive on the day of the Stage. 3 days, approx 300 miles and fully supported. I'm pretty gob smacked tbh!
  • I live in North Leeds so I'm lucky to live less than half a mile from the route, but the racing won't have really started. From what I've seen there hasn't been much mention of the fact that Stage 1 will go through the Harewood House Estate on private roads. The estate is closed over the winter and you would have to pay an entrance fee to get in even when it's open. This means you can't actually ride the whole of the official Stage 1 route. You could stay on the main roads that bypass Harewood or venture onto some bridleways that take a different route through the estate. It probably isn't a big deal for most people but I can imagine lots of people turning up at the gates and getting a surprise.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    mattbabs wrote:
    I live in North Leeds so I'm lucky to live less than half a mile from the route, but the racing won't have really started. From what I've seen there hasn't been much mention of the fact that Stage 1 will go through the Harewood House Estate on private roads. The estate is closed over the winter and you would have to pay an entrance fee to get in even when it's open. This means you can't actually ride the whole of the official Stage 1 route. You could stay on the main roads that bypass Harewood or venture onto some bridleways that take a different route through the estate. It probably isn't a big deal for most people but I can imagine lots of people turning up at the gates and getting a surprise.
    I wouldn't bother too much about being not able to go through the Harewood estate - I would just continue down the A61 Harewood bank. Even if you could go through the Harewood estate you still wouldn't be able to do the exact route as the stage will finish in Harrogate going the wrong way up a normally busy one way street - so anyone doing the route will not be able to replicate the stage finish. Despite these slight variations you can still do the stage.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    What about stage 3 into London from Cambridge? I'm keen to do that.