Buying a fixie / single speed

pedalbasher
pedalbasher Posts: 215
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi

I am looking to buy a fixie or single-speed bike for commuting in central London. I am an advanced road cyclist but have never bought a single speed or fixed gear bike before.

I would like something with a bit of character, not just one of these generic things that a lot of people seem to be riding. That said, I don't want to spend a fortune (£500 max) so I am thinking second-hand might be the way to go.

Can anyone recommend any decent shops that might sell the sort of thing I'm looking for?

Alternatively I could buy new if I can take advantage of the Bike 2 Work scheme... I am just averse to going straight to Evans and buying an off the peg 2014 Specialized when I could get somethign so much more beatuiful...

Is Gumtree worth a look or best avoided?

Thanks, much appreciated.

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Convert an old road bike? or look on lfgss and eBay for second handers. The best thing is how easy swapping parts around is to get something you enjoy riding so buying some generic new bike isn't always a great option and generally hard to get exactly what you want.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Get a frame from the likes of Brian Rourke or Bob jackson, saddle from Brookes, handbuilt wheels... mm my Next Bike is taking form if I can summon up the £££.