best semi slicks

stronginthesun
stronginthesun Posts: 433
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
any ideas on what are the best semi slicks for winter road use with the occasional trail firetrack use ?

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Best by what metric? Lightest and fastest are the Maxxis Maxxlite 285, but they're expensive and wear quickly.

Something like the Schwalbe Land Cruiser is the opposite.
  • I have Schwalbe Land Cruiser on my old rigid Marin that I sometimes commute on. I recommend them as they roll well on the road & can handle a bit of light off-road. Most importantly they are very cheap!
    Winter commuter: Planet X London Road
    Winter road bike/commuter: Specialized Langster
    Best road bike: Planet X RTD90
    MTBs: Giant XTC 650B / On-One C456 singlespeed
    TT bike: Planet X Stealth
  • TownyDC
    TownyDC Posts: 157
    I have Land Cruiser on my Paragon hardtail, as said, good for the price, roll nice, can't fault them.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    I use Sch land cruiser also.
  • EdW
    EdW Posts: 103
    I've just fitted some Schwalbe Silento 26x1.75, £15 each from CRC, they're fairly light & roll well on the road. Can't comment on durability & haven't tried any off road cornering on them yet.
  • Not sure if they count as semi-slicks, but schwalbe marathon supremes are excellent. 1000+ commuting miles so far and not one puncture, and they are reasonably lightweight.
  • cborrman
    cborrman Posts: 125
    any ideas on what are the best semi slicks for winter road use with the occasional trail firetrack use ?

agree on metrics being important:

best price/performance, while still being usable off-road (and less rolling resistance than a good few full slicks): specialized renegade. fast-tracks are good as well but useless in wet

best ones I have used is schwalbe furious fred, but needs tubeless as punctures just looking at it and not cheap, needs full attention as it only grips when banking hard :) it takes quite a leap of faith to be sliding out on a corner and bank harder to grip!
    s-works stumpy FSR, sl2 tarmac, siglespeed rockhopper and a bog standard allez