Wheel Upgrade Advice- Shimano RS30

mozzer2906
mozzer2906 Posts: 23
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Morning All

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, used the search button without success. Looking to buy some wheels as an upgrade to my stock Specalised Allez Elite 2012. The stock wheels are DT Swiss 1.0s (Currently fitted with Continental 4 Seasons). The wheels that I'm looking at are Shimano RS30s clad in GP4000s:

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WPS ... r_wheelset

Not having upgraded wheels before my question is will these wheels make enough of a performance difference to be worthwhile? Or am I worth doing some more saving and spending £300-400? Also open to other suggestions for wheels, basically all help and guidance would be welcomed!

In terms of riding habits/style.. the Specalised will mostly be on the Turbo until spring (Recently acquired a winter workhorse) and then used for about 150-200km a week, in and around London/the South East.

Thanks

Comments

• I don't see the RS 30 as an upgrade. The RRP is ludicrous and Planet X often inflates RRP to make their offers sound irresistible.. I have pointed out this in the past. Save your money and wait for spring... in the meantime your pot might have gone up and your options will go uptoo.
    Besides, these are not even 11 speed ready and if next year you fancy upgrading to Ultegra, they'll become redundant
    left the forum March 2023
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,896
    Do you know what the weight of your stock wheels are?

Are you specifically wanting a 30mm rim?

They are fairly heavy those rs30's, having said that I did buy a white pair for my gf's bike from ribble for £120, but mainly because they complement the colour scheme!

If you want 'aero' rims, I would be tempted to get these:
    http://www.4thebike.de/laufraeder/rennrad/14/mavic-cosmic-elite-laufradsatz-mit-hg-10-fach-rotor

The ones I ended up going for, and this I guess is towards the latter part of your post, was these, which are meant to be 1520g despite the weight listing on the page below..
    http://www.4thebike.de/laufraeder/rennrad/8756/mavic-ksyrium-elite

Forgot to add that the above Ksyriums for me came with Mavic tyres and tubes, so even better vfm for circa £320.
    Check with them though via e-mail, they were very quick at getting back to me.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Thanks to both for the responses/advice... to answer some of the questions above...

I've done a bit of digging on the weight of the stock wheels (It doesn't seem to be freely available on the internet) and the general consensus is that they are around 2.4kg. Will stick them on the scales at home tonight though to be sure.

I'm not overly precious about having a 30mm rim, but from the reading/research I've done it sounds like it would be a solid starting point for an upgrade.
  • mozzer2906 wrote:
    I'm not overly precious about having a 30mm rim, but from the reading/research I've done it sounds like it would be a solid starting point for an upgrade.

If money is tight, don't waste it... the RS30 are not an upgrade... they can be an alternative if your wheels are worn out and need replacement, but not an upgrade as such
    If you want to weigh your wheels for a fair comparison, then you have to strip them of everything... cassette, tyres, tubes and rim tape. They'll probably come up at bang on the same weight as the RS 30
    left the forum March 2023
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    RS30 wheels have straight pull spokes. RRP £3 each. On that basis I would dismiss them immediately.
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • mozzer2906 wrote:

If money is tight, don't waste it... the RS30 are not an upgrade... they can be an alternative if your wheels are worn out and need replacement, but not an upgrade as such
    If you want to weigh your wheels for a fair comparison, then you have to strip them of everything... cassette, tyres, tubes and rim tape. They'll probably come up at bang on the same weight as the RS 30

Thanks, looking at all the posts it seems like I would be better holding fire until spring when I should be able to get 350-400 quid together and then go for a substantial upgrade, rather than spring for the RS30s now.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I bought some rs30s recently and I am quite happy with them. They cost just over £100 from Ribble and I stuck them on my Allez Elite for the winter, replacing rs80s. Decent all rounders that can take a bit of abuse. However, I agree with the conclusions here that a) they will not offer a massive improvement over what you have and b) buying them now to stick on the turbo makes no sense.

Hence, save up your dosh and get some better wheels in the spring, like Krysiums, rs80s/81s or nice handbuilts. You could always buy some decent winter tyres for your winter steed now if you wanted to splash some cash. I have been very impressed with Ultremo DD, fwiw.