Hub dynamo - working but a little dim

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited November 2013 in Workshop
Just getting this set up. All seems to be in place OK and I'm getting a light when I ride but its a bit dim.

The wiring may not be as fantastically connected as it could be - this was just a first fit - is this the likely problem or am I expecting too much from a 3w/6v device?

I've been using a battery powered 1000 lumen Magicshine until now and that was like a car headlight. This is a 60 lux B&M light.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Sounds wrong to me. I'd expect the 60 Lux B&M to be pretty bright. Which hub dynamo?

Worrying since I'm contemplating that very lighting system
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    A Cyo should be plenty bright (it's the default choice for many Audaxers).

It won't be as bright as many other lights - but the key difference is the reflector and beam shape - a Cyo actually puts light on the road (especially the Cyo R), and only the road (see http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/headlights.asp for pictures of beam patterns).

Difficult to say whether what you are experiencing is down to a fault or whether you are just comparing it with a battery powered light, which will generally be brighter but scatter it's light everywhere (I don't know the Magicshine, so can't comment on it's exact beam pattern).

I rode for a couple of seasons on a Cyo R and never had an issue with it not being bright enough on thousands of km of night riding. I still have it on my training fixed wheel bike and it's bright enough for night-time laps of Richmond Park.
  • Check out road.cc for light comparisons, including the B&M Cyo.

http://road.cc/content/news/69237-big-r ... -test-2012

I've also got the 60 lux Cyo and although it's not as bright as a lot of the huge lumen battery lights, the spread of light is very good for i) being noticed and ii) seeing the road with.
  • rodgers73
    I found a wiring diagram for my Shimano hub online last night (not provided with the hub itself!) and it looks like the connections aren't properly sorted (i.e. I need to do a better job).

Will have another go and see how it looks. I'm optimistic though.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I'm running a SP dyno hub with Philips lights (110 lumen, what ever that means). Very impressed and the visability is as least as good as the Magishine I used to use, mainly as most of the light ends up on the road.
  • rodgers73
    OK, got the wiring sorted and everything is as it should be. I'm wondering if I'm angling the beam too close to the front wheel as the pictures at the peterwhitecycles link above seem to be projecting way further forward than mine?

Also, I was testing it on the estate around my house which has street lighting (I just wanted to be sure it was working OK) so the beam appeared non-existent. So, if the "strength" of the B&M light is the way it focuses its beam rather than pure power would it appear to be quite weak once any other ambient light "intrudes"?

Basically, do I need to get out onto a pitch dark road in order to fully appreciate the ability of the light??
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    The beam from a Cyo is visible on the road in poor daylight.
    I project mine about 8ft from the front wheel.
    You need to wire up with the correct polarity.
    Its hard to think what else could go wrong.
    I smear a little vaseline on the contacts to ensure a reliable contact and prevent corrosion.
  • rodgers73
    I'm assuming that if poliarity is not correct it simply wouldnt work?