Which base layers do you rate?

primalcarl
primalcarl Posts: 579
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Thinking about getting a couple more base layers for winter use. Any recommendations?

Comments

• meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    I have

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-merino-long-sleeve-base-layer/

No idea how it compares, but warm and good value.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Endura Baa Baa. Nothing comes close.
  • vfast1
    vfast1 Posts: 98
    Got two of them plus other Craft base layers. Superb.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/craft-active-ex ... ase-layer/
    Winter Road - 2014 Boardman Sport
    MTB - 2012 Canyon Nerve XC 7
    Summer Road - 2012 Cannondale Supersix 105 Liquigas Colours
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Don't mind saying this, but I really rate the Aldi base layers. At least as good as anything else I've ever used - and for the price you really can't go wrong. The hard part is finding them outside of their special promos, because they don't hang around for long...
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Depends what I am doing but my underarmour heat n cold get used for nearly every sport as do my skins. Tried others and merino type things from HH, prendas etc but they just haven't worked as well for fit or temperature
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    I don't like Merino base layers. I know this is sacrilege.
    I like the new Assos base layer range for summer and winter
    http://assos.com/en/19/singleProduct.as ... 1&prod=446
  • You can't beat the Rapha merino base layers for winter, they are expensive but will last a good few years unlike cheaper merino base layers which fall apart/loose shape after a couple of washes!
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    LegendLust wrote:

+1. Under Armour cold gear.
    I was told to get some by a couple of mates, one a rugby player and one a golfer. The best base layer that I've used in 20 years of cycling/sport, they have a comfortable tight fit, wick away the moisture well and keep you warm, plus you get a good selection of colours.
    If you give Under Armour a go, be aware that you can get a mock and crew neck.
  • For me a base layer is all about wicking moisture away from the skin otherwise all you're doing is trapping damp that'll make you feel cold and clammy, and to that end I prefer Helly Hansen Lifa tops.

Whether it's wearing a wicking layer under a short sleeve top in summer or a long sleeve base layer under several layers in winter, keeping the skin dry is the key to comfort for me so I tend to reserve the merino wool as a mid layer from when things start getting cold.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    merino is okay for short/easy rides but can't handle big workouts, just gets too damp.

the synthetic Craft ones are good.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Superfine merino got is reputation from high grade NZ made items. The big companies then moved production to China and started using lower grade materials such as wool/polyester mixes or mixing in lower grades of merino for some items.
    If you want to check out the real NZ item, see Chocholatefish.
    My Taranaki T shirts have several seasons of daily wear with regular washing. They are durable, soft, comfortable and keep you toasty in cold, damp condition. They cost a bit less than Rapha.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I just got a craft extreme zero and I am quite impressed, it works well, a lot better than the Helly Hansen Lifa I have, but for really cold weather you can't beat a Helly Hansen ice.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • neal1984
    neal1984 Posts: 240
    coriordan wrote:

This. I have 3 Merino base layers and this is by far the most comfy!

Life is like riding a bicycle: you don't fall off unless you stop pedaling.

Scott Foil Team Issue HMX Di2
    Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • Really cold - Helly Hansen Ice

Just cold - Craft Zero Extreme

Cold - DHB merino
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Prendas are good, cheap too
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Howies merino in various vests/t shirts/ full sleeve for autumn into winter, and Craft mesh vests for the warm days.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Summer - Crash mesh - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/craft-cool-mesh-superlight-sleeveless-base-layer/

Spring/Autumn/Winter - DHB Merino - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-merino-ss-roundneck-baselayer-m-150/ (Its available in SS 150gsm, and LS 150gsm or 190gsm, so you can use them in a variety of conditions)
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Nike Pro Combat from Wiggle are my favourite. They were on special for £16 a few months ago but I think there back up to near £30 now. I hate merino base layers, too clammy and get damp.
  • coriordan wrote:

Except Icebreaker Merino. I have three of these and they are top kit. The good thing about merino is that it still keeps you warm even if/when it gets wet.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    In order:

1. Aldi base layers - for £10 they are an absolute bargain and beat anything else I've tried. I can't see why I've spent more on other brands.
    2. Icebreaker Merino - great for temperatures around and below 0º but can't wick as well as the Aldi base layers. Also smell like wet dog after a ride.
    3. Craft Extreme - It always seems absolutely sodden after a ride and feels cold next to the skin on really long, cold rides. The only bit of Craft kit I've been disappointed with and I have lots of Craft Winter kit.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    If It's sodden and you're not it's probably working, it's your next layer that's not working, maybe..
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    I'm a fan of the Planet X Merino base layers - and they also come in various weights. The PX tops are not the best made but have lasted well (so seem are good for the money).

It's also worth pointing out that you can have the best base layer money can buy, but unless your other layers are breathable you'll end up wet from sweat - the moisture needs some where to go.

The weather in the UK is so changeable over the winter especially if doing long rides. What you need to keep warm and dry are layers that either can be added/removed or unzipped/zipped dependant on temperature/wind.
    Simon
  • Another vote for Endura Baa Baa.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have the icebreaker merino but not really sure about the texture. Feels like brushed cotton almost so I now wear it as a l/s tshirt under a jumper.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've lots from all makes. I cant tell any difference in performance really - but the thicker ones offer a bit more warmth.
    Helly Hansens last forever.
  • all the craft layers, they are brilliant and well priced
  • I've tried lots of different base layers across a range of outdoor pursuits over the years and now prefer to stick with thin base layers all year round rather than moving to something warmer in the winter. I especially like mesh designs for avoiding that soggy cold feeling. The extra insulation can then be added with appropriate mid layers.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Endurance Baa Baa
    Icebreaker Merino
    Orca Merino

I have a number of all of the above and the ones I come back to the most are the Orcas.
    I'm wearing a heavy weight one at the moment
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved