Anyone used a Campag 11spd Triple?

Wirral_paul
Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Evenin all

I am currently undecided . between a Campag Athena Double or Triple groupset. I am building up a new winter / light touring (or pretty much an Audax bike i guess many would call it) bike with custom Ti frame etc.

I've got 11spd Chorus on my current winter bike and likely to go for Record EPS on a new "fancy" bike next year, so am considering Athena 11spd to keep everything fully interchangeable. The Athena triple seems pretty rare at present - with Shiny Bikes being the cheapest with the 2013 Black groupset at around £650. However, they do the 2014 double compact at £125 less - which is quite a saving.

Has anyone used the Athena triple groupset at all?? The idea of a 30 tooth inner seems nice for getting up Hardknot / Whinlater etc and i already have 12-25 and 12-27 11spd cassettes that i can swap in.

Also - can anyone confirm if Athena is now Ultra Torque rather than Power Torque - as Shiny Bikes seem to quote Power Torque for 2013 onwards :?

Comments

• nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Buy from Shiny Bikes at your peril!
  • Wirral_paul
    I'm 35 mins away from them and always collect - thank god!! I know what you're saying mate - nice guys there..... but sometimes......
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Modern campag triple works well. I would use it if I lived somewhere hilly.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • All Athena is PowerTorque, since the start of 2010 season manufacture.
    All the current Campag triples are PT, Veloce through to Athena.

Don't forget you will need to order the Triple-specific PowerShift levers to suit if you are going the triple route.

Enjoy!
    Graeme
    Velotech Cycling Ltd
    Campagnolo main factory-appointed & supported Service Centre
  • rb1
    rb1 Posts: 18
    Not sure i agree that modern campy triple works well. I had a chorus triple which was fine for the first two or three years that i owned it. But then i could never keep it in tune, and neither I or LBS could figure out why. I replaced it with a super record compact (got a good deal - well below list price), and all has been much better. I happened to spend a week this summer on a bike with a campy triple (forget which model) and it reminded me how frustrating it is to have a balky drivetrain...
  • Wirral_paul
    Thanks for all the info everyone. I had issues with the changing on my Chorus double groupset just before i headed over to France for the Paris to Nice ride i did in September. I bought a new set of cables, fitted them 3 days before France and it cured it. I havent touched the indexing since and its still spot on.

Cant imagine why a triple groupset would be any different with regards to changing to the double - in what way was it clunky rb1?? Alignment of the front mech varying etc??

PS triple groupset source now sorted through here rather than Shiny Bikes :)
  • rb1
    rb1 Posts: 18
    Hi,
    Front mech was fine. Problem was indexing at the rear. It was difficult to adjust and to keep adjusted. Don't triples tend to have longer cages ? I figured it might have had something to do with that. But, that's just my experience. With luck, yours will run smoothly.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    I run Campag triples on my three bikes and don't seem to suffer the problem
    others are having with keeping the gears indexed properly and running smooth.
    Maybe it's because I look after them well.
  • Wirral_paul
    rb1 wrote:
    Hi,
    Front mech was fine. Problem was indexing at the rear. It was difficult to adjust and to keep adjusted. Don't triples tend to have longer cages ? I figured it might have had something to do with that. But, that's just my experience. With luck, yours will run smoothly.

Yeah it's a longer cage - but the same design other than cage length which shouldn't affect indexing as far as i know. Well i will sure find out once the frame is built for me!! ;)
  • Wirral_paul
    De Sisti wrote:
    Maybe it's because I look after them well.

hehe must be mate - i hear David Brailsford is after a new Team Sky head mechanic by the way :P :wink:
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    hehe must be mate - i hear David Brailsford is after a new Team Sky head mechanic by the way :P :wink:
    That's nothing to do with me mate. :wink: