Garmin 500, the real deal?

Bobbinogs
Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
So, I am a bit cheesed off with Brytons as I am on my 2nd warranty replacement Rider20 and, to be fair to Bryton, it looks like they have cracked consistency. Unfortunately though, the consistency means that unit has exactly the same features as the other 2 in that it resets fairly frequently for no reason, laptop connectivity is hit/miss and whenever it even looks like raining I have to cover the unit with some plastic to stop it getting wet (or else the unit gets all foggy).

So, the 500 looks to be a much better bet but does it have any 'features' that I don't want? Can I trust it in the rain, etc??

Comments

• ivanoile
    ivanoile Posts: 202
    For the rain,my survived few races with heavy rain(I think 2 races with about 3h of constant rain and one training with about 2 hours of heavy rain).It works today without problems.
  • I have the red and black 500 been using it in all weather and its been faultless, i did play up the first time i had it(bought 2nd hand) but after a factory reset and new battery in the cadence sensor its been faultless. best garmin i have had (previous ones 600,705)
  • Cupras
    Cupras Posts: 145
    My 510 has pretty much been swimming and it doesn't care.
  • my 510 is fine after being abused in all weathers too
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
    Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
    Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
    Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    The weather wont hurt a 500 at all.They are designed to get wet and still function perfectly.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • My Garmin 500 has been great - been using it for about 18 months now.

But it has developed a fault; the upload no longer works properly, the connection between Mac and Garmin.

With the original Garmin USB cable there's clearly a poor connection - the Garmin would charge, then stop, then charge, etc.

So I used another non-Garmin USB cable and that charges fine. But the computer still can't 'see' the Garmin. If I push hard on the cable into the Garmin, I can make the Garmin appear on the computer but Strava still doesn't see it, so I have to pick out the ride manually and upload it like that.

So I'm assuming that somehow the USB connectors in my Garmin are knackered. But it's never got wet or abused....
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Thanks chaps. Garmin 500 it is then. Hopefully it will be here in time for the w/e :)
  • there's a little-advertised feature on the 500 too. It takes some getting used to, but despite not having the full navigation of bigger brothers, it's got a neat Course feature. Basically upload txv/gpx files to the device and you can follow breadcrumb trails.

THis gives you an idea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAEM26w0bgg
  • Work in the rain?
    Never thought about that, yep it does and mud wipes off it too.

Shtukka as absolutely right about the course thing, great as very rudimentary nav aid.
    save yourself loads of hassle on how to do it and use this:

www.bikeroutetoaster.com

works really well for uploading /creating courses and doesn't cost a penny!
    Chinese All Carbon Hybrid, mixed with overdraft and research.
    Hong Kong Phoey - Quicker than the human eye!

Not enough: bikes, garage space or time.
  • one other thought - worth shelling out a couple of quid on some screen protectors.