Seatpost torque

bikeit65
bikeit65 Posts: 998
edited November 2013 in Workshop
Just took delivery of a Planet X RT58 carbon bike with a carbon seatpost anyone know what torque setting it needs to be.
https://www.instagram.com/seanmcgrathphotography/
Trek Domane SL7 GEN4
Planet X RT58
Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.
Pain.. Is weakness leaving the body.

HATING LIFE-CYCLES FROM 2011

Comments

• Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Usually 5Nm but some may differ.
  • My Kuota aero post says 8nm the lbs torqued it to 12nm and theres still movement.
    Are the parameters not on the seatpost clamp.?
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Not too tight, but not too loose. Just enough to keep the seat post from moving :-) Use some "carbon paste", it has grit in it that adds friction so less torque is required.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • My Kuota aero post says 8nm the lbs torqued it to 12nm and theres still movement.
    Are the parameters not on the seatpost clamp.?

Don't you have a kharma? I have the same frame and it says 6 not 8, it has a bolt on either side and you have to tighten them together or it doesn't grip properly. Mine is tightened this way to 5nm and has never shifted
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • Planet x Torque settings.

Torque Settings

Get your torque wrench out

These are our recommended torque settings for our carbon frames.

SL Pro Carbon Road Seat Clamp: 5.8Nm to 8Nm
    SL Pro Carbon Road Front Mech Clamp: 3.5Nm
    SL Pro Carbon Road Fork Steerer to Stem Clamp: 5Nm to 8Nm

Stealth Seat Clamp 6Nm to 9Nm
    Stealth Carbon Fork Steerer to Stem Clamp: 5Nm to 8Nm
    Stealth Carbon Handlebar Clamp: 5Nm to 8Nm
    Stealth Carbon Arm Rest/Extension Clamps: 3.5Nm
  • Yes dnwhite88 that is correct. Had the bike three months and it has been back to the shop fifteen times with various issues, don't want to mention the shop name but I am not a happy chappy. Hows yours performing?
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    It'd be interesting to know how many folk use a torque wrench, personally I just use an Allen key and be yet to have a failure.
  • Your obviously more experienced, I cannot afford to take the risk. I already have a torque wrench in my possession so may as well use it and be on the cautious side.
  • Sounds like you've been very unlucky. My kharma has done thousands of trouble free miles and I have one of their korsa carbon frames too which is a great bike and has been out with me in some truly terrible conditions, had a squeaky pedal for a while but that's not exactly the frames fault. I bought kuota because a friend has two of them far older than mine and said they were great value for the price. Is it the frame that's at fault or is the shop just useless?
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • Think I got a Friday afternoon bike dnwhite88 . I upgraded the whole package too, which makes it even more painful. Glad you had a good experience. Where did you purchase it from if you don't mind me asking.
  • As I said dnwhite88 I can't really say an awful lot about the specifics but I know what your saying and all measures are being looked at.
  • bikeit65
    bikeit65 Posts: 998
    Just received an email from Planet X the torque setting for the seatpost clamp is 6 - 8 Nm.
    https://www.instagram.com/seanmcgrathphotography/
    Trek Domane SL7 GEN4
    Planet X RT58
    Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.
    Pain.. Is weakness leaving the body.

HATING LIFE-CYCLES FROM 2011