Fitting a mudguard to my Giant Defy 5

bigmeanbunny
bigmeanbunny Posts: 39
edited August 2014 in Road beginners
Hi guys

after my initial sign up for buying advice, I went with a Giant Defy 5 compact which I am loving (I figured to start cheap and then can upgrade if I enjoy it)

I got the Giant Defy Fenders for them though to cut down on the spray in the bad weather, however I have zero idea how to fit them despite the extremely comprehensive instructions they came with...

IMG_0347_zps99afd007.jpg

Any advice to a complete novice, never fitted anything like this and my first bike in about 15 years. Where do I start? do you need to take the wheels and brakes off for example?!

Comments

• This video is similar but you will need to remove the brake caliper to put the tab behind.

http://youtu.be/fhzECAgQx3c

Good luck I am a mechanic and they are not simple,just take your time and be patient.
  • cheers, thats a massive help. Wouldn't have brought them had I known whats required. Asked the lad in the shop if they were easy to fit for someone that doesn't know anything about bikes and isn't great at manual tasks and he was like "yeah you'll be fine mate".
  • Fitted some to my Defy 3 and the rear one had to enlarge the cut out to enable me to screw to my frame, the chap in the shop did warn me of this......and it did take me about 50 mins of buggering about till I was completely happy ;-)
  • Primus84
    Primus84 Posts: 109
    To be fair I had no problems installing mine other than the screws wouldn't fit in the screw holes in the front forks originally due to the paint in the threads. Once they were cleared delicately they were fine. This may have also been down to be be wary about stressing a CF front fork but this was the fiddliest bit.
  • just had a look, how do I remove the brake calliper? I am wary of touching the brakes. I don't even like taking the wheel off at the minute as I am worried I am going to mess something up and have it fall off on me whilst I am biking about. Always good for a cock up or a prat fall me!
  • Primus84
    Primus84 Posts: 109
    You need a long allen key - there's a recessed allen head - look at where the bolt holds the calliper to the frame - it bolts through so you unscrew it from the inside of the frame.
  • Good luck with this. I fitted them to my Defy 1 the other day and it took me about 90 minutes (partly because I accidentally ripped the 'instructions' when opening the pack).

Also, my frame is M/L, and the cut out on the rear guard - the one through which a screw goes into that rubber grub that attaches to the seat tube - was not long enough for me. I don't have a drill so I've had to affix it with a velcro loop. Not exactly ideal and I've yet to ride with it.
  • Good luck with this. I fitted them to my Defy 1 the other day and it took me about 90 minutes (partly because I accidentally ripped the 'instructions' when opening the pack).

Also, my frame is M/L, and the cut out on the rear guard - the one through which a screw goes into that rubber grub that attaches to the seat tube - was not long enough for me. I don't have a drill so I've had to affix it with a velcro loop. Not exactly ideal and I've yet to ride with it.

I used a round shaped file to file the slot bigger, worked perfectly
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Have a look at the Shimano website in the tech documents section, your Defy 5 doesn't have Shimano caliper brakes, however the principles are the same.

http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/Tech Support/Tech. Docs/Road Bike/Non-Series Components/BR Brakes/BR-R560/SI-8EL0A

Click on the light blue coloured link to open the PDF file.
  • wrlcs
    wrlcs Posts: 3
    Hi, I was in a similar position, no experience of maintenance and concern over the complexity of fitting guards to my defy but working very slowly I found the job fiddly but not too difficult. They do need adjustment now and again but overall well woth the effort and to my mind they enhance the look of the bike. Having said this I would say that having a decent stand makes a big difference, I can see the job being much more difficultbwithout one.

Brendan
  • Hawmaw
    Hawmaw Posts: 124
    Bigmeanbunny , why don't you put your location on your profile?
    You might find there's somebody local who can come along and help you out with this and some other basic maintenance
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    You're lucky to get a pair. I've tried several shops and been told Giant won't have stock for delivery until mid JANUARY!!
    Good planning by Giant to supply the Winter demand :(
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Put some Cruds on, cheaper and better.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • prando
    prando Posts: 47
    In bought a set of 'giant' recommended guards for my defy 1 (from an online retailer)'and took them to the Fort bike shop (Erdington ) They fitted them for me £15. Money well spend for me as the job looked more than I wants to undertake.
  • sunkai
    sunkai Posts: 3
    If you have a large-framed Giant bike, the Giant Road Bike Fender set will not fit.

You need to elongate the rear fender slot, which used to secure the fender to the seat post. I used a hacksaw blade, and some pliers.

Also, to clear a rear 25mm tyre, you will need to cut out the brake calliper bracket. You can put enough compression into the fender spokes to keep the fender off the tyre.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Aah I see, it's the size of the frame, didn't realise that. Thanks
  • nuggiebok
    nuggiebok Posts: 63
    Don't make the mistake I did the first time I tried to fit them and try and do it with the wheels still on the bike!

Best advice, turn the bike upside down, take the wheels off. Oh and don't dismantle the rear brake caliper like I did... :oops: the spring went pop and it took me an hour to fix it! Luckily I'm quite confident spannering after practice on motorbikes over the years!
  • appreciate this is an old thread, but never could get the damn things on! strewn about in the basement. I ended up getting a clip on guard from decathlon for about £7 instead! I don't like riding it in the wet anyway.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I got so fed up with faffing around that i took them back to the bike shop where i purchased them and got them to fit them foc... For giant to sell a product specifically for a range of bikes only for them not to actually fit the bikes they were designed to fit without attacking them with a hacksaw is a bit rubbish imo...
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    They fit on my bike (2012 Defy 2) absolutely fine... I had read threads like this and was prepared for all sorts of problems and modifications, but they went on easily. No issues at all.